Is it Okay to Get Rhinoplasty After Piercing?

I am thinking about getting my nose pierced, most likely tomorrow, Sat 4/7/12. However I also want a nose job, I mean there's not a huge problem with my nose just a little bump that I would like to get straightened out but then I feel my nostril shape would have to change just a bit too..maybe? Anyway, I really want my piercing and my nose job but I'm quite sure when I will get the surgery, if ever. Should I just go on with my piercing? How will the piercing affect the surgery?

Rhinoplasty and Nasal Piercing

+1

The presence of nasal piercing will have no impact on your rhinoplasty surgery. As others have said the jewelry would be removed before the operation and replaced 1-2 weeks later. If the tissue at the site of the piercing is moved or removed it may be necessary to re-pierce the nose.

+1

It's never been a problem for us to do Rhinoplasty with nasal piercing.  The piercing is removed, by the patient before the surgery as it's not only physically in the way but also poses a risk using cautery.  Once the nose is reasonably healed, 2-3 months, the piercing can be put back.

Rhinoplasty After Piercing

+1

There is no problem performing rhinoplasty on a pierced nose.  Any jewelry would need to removed before surgery.  If you are planning on having surgery in the next few months it would be better to hold off on piercing.

Sam Naficy, MD

Rhinoplasty and nasal piercing

+1

If you are thinking of having a rhinoplasty, I would hold off on the nasal piercing just to be on the safe side.

Piercing nose and rhinoplasty

+1
If you are thinking of having a Rhinoplasty soon then I would suggest waiting on the piercing. If you have the piercing it would be fine however the ring would have to be removed during the surgical process and not put back in until after the splint is off. The piercing will not have an overall effect on the outcome of the surgery.

Michael Elam, MD