Unhappy with Results - Should I Get a 2nd Rhinoplasty?

After 3 months from my surgery I dont completely like results. My nose is still very swelled and the tip looks long in profile because of this. I had an open rhinoplasty combined with cartilage reduction on my adam's apple. I swelled so bad that my entire face was round and I had bruising even under my lips, tongue, black around the eyes, and with hemorrhage inside one of my eyes. Can this be a reason why I'm still very swelled? The surgeon says that some swell more than others and that it takes up to a year for it to go away. I'm nevertheless still worried

Still Healing!

+2

When I had my rhinoplasty, I noticed swelling for 18 months! It is very common to have swelling early in the healing process. Swelling can be affected by your diet (salt and alcohol especially), activity, and even your position when you sleep. I would not recommend considering revision for at least another 9 months. You can try taping your nose at night to minimize swelling, and sometimes steroid injections are helpful- you can talk to your surgeon about different options to help you. Keep in mind if you were totally happy with your nose now, you would probably not be pleased when all is healed!

Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Give your nose a minimum of 6 months to heal before making  a decision, but you may ultimately want a secondary, as your nose appears to have quite a bit of projection.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Swelling post-op rhinoplasty

+1

You need to be patient.  There is no question that the nose will take on significant edema after rhinoplasty.  I would not make light of the fact that you do not like the way it looks now, but I would place that fact into context.  The nose will change greatly between now and the one year mark.  

Jay Calvert, MD

Disappointment following Rhinoplasty

+1

Although I understand your concerns and worries about the final result of the rhinoplasty - I agree with the surgeon. You simply have to wait until all swelling is gone to assess the final result. A happy patient is a product of a skilled surgeon and also having reasonable expectations presented by the surgeon. With time your concerns will probable improve significantly - possibly disappear. However, if you continue to have some issues they can be addressed at a second procedure - but only after waiting an appropriate amount of time. Best of Luck

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Unhappy 3 Months after Rhinoplasty

+1

It is very rare for a patient or surgeon to say they would be satisfied with the nasal appearance at 3 months if that was the final result. Your nose will change for a year after surgery - then decide if you want a revision.

Rhinoplasty

+1

While I appreciate your concerns about your nose.  All bets are off for about a year for the swelling to come down.

Wait an entire year before a revision rhinoplasty.

+1

I know it is hard to be patient, but you must wait for an entire year after rhinoplasty before you really see the changes made during surgery.  Additionally, it takes one year for the scar tissue to completely soften so that any revision surgery can obtain a predictable result.  The WORST thing you can do right now is have another surgery.

It is normal for some swelling to still be present even 3 months after surgery and the skin has still not contracted down to conform to the underlying bone and cartilage which was shaped during rhinoplasty.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Actually it will take a long time for all of the swelling to go away after a rhinoplasty.  It is unusual, however, for there to be residual bruising at three months.  Keep your head elevated as much as possible and wait at least another six months to evaluate the final result.  Perhaps at that time several consults for  a revision will be in order.

Tal Raine MD

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Time period before revision rhinoplasty

+1

it can take up to one year for all of the swelling to go away from the tip of your nose. It is best to wait at least that long even if a revision is necessary since this could make your result worse if you had surgery sooner. I would follow regularly with your surgeon as there may be interventions that can be done during the healing process to improve the results.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Three monthis is way to early to consider revision rhinoplasty

+1

It takes at least one year for the nose to fully heal following rhinoplasty. The last part to come in is the tip of the nose. If you had a lot of initial swelling and/or thick skin it can take even longer. I try to dissuade my patients from even considering revision surgery at three months. This should not be addressed verbally until at least 6 months and not done before a year or more. Your surgeon should be able to judge how much swelling remains at 1 year.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD