Can Rhinoplasty Affect Upper Lip's Appearance?

I'm three months Rhinoplasty post-op and I'm not happy with the result. Not only am I still in pain, but my nose is still upturned, with a hanging columella, and has even affected the look of my upper lip. Is this normal and/or can it be fixed?

Yes, rhinoplasty surgery can affect the upper lip

+1

Roxygirl,

First, 3 months after rhinoplasty (cosmetic nose surgery) is still relatively early. The nose, especially the tip area and skin, continue to change. Most of the swelling resolves within a month, with the final swelling taking at least 1 year.

Second, the tip of the nose, septum, and upper lip are connected intimately and affect one another. Modifying and reshaping the columella, nostrils, lower lateral cartilages, vestibule, caudal septum, and nasal muscles all contribute to the appearance of the upper lip.

In fact, plastic surgeons leave the upper lip exposed during rhinoplasty to evaluate minor changes which may occur during cosmetic nasal surgery.

Lastly, full face photographs of your nose helps provide a better answer. Yes, your nose may still be able to be modified with revision surgery, but suggest waiting at least 1 year from surgery.

Speak with your rhinoplasty surgeon to help guide your post-surgery recovery.

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty expert

+1

I am sorry that you are unhappy with the result of your rhinoplasty. By 3 months I would say what you have know will probably not change too much. Yes, there is still some swelling but that minor swelling will go away over the next several months. If you are unhappy, you can always have a revision, but I would wait at least 1 year until the tissues are soft.