What To Expect From A Rhinoplasty Consultation and Can I Still Look Like ME After Surgery?

As a teen, I detested my nose. However with time (and age) I've learned to be far more accepting... but, I still strongly DISLIKE my nose and am considering surgery to refine it. I want it to be straighter on my face (slight deviation to right), have less of a bump, and raise the tip. I want it to still look like ME though, and I want it to suit my face. I would love advice on what type of surgery would be suitable and what to expect at a consultation. Thanks!

Natural looking results

+1

Your concerns are common, a lot of my patients who have undergone rhinoplasty surgery comment "I wish I had done this earlier" or "this is the nose I should have had". Hearing those words from my patients gives great satisfaction to me as their plastic surgeon. My goals for my rhinoplasty patients is to achieve natural results which complement his or her facial features. To help with this, I feel is essential to incorporate computer imaging during a rhinoplasty consultation. This technology allows both the patient and myself to express each other's aesthetic goals. I recommend to any patient inquiring about rhinoplasty to seek surgeons who offer computer imaging.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Regaining Your Appearance After Rhinoplasty

+1

The most important thing with any rhinoplasty is to have your nose match your face and to make it look natural and not operated on. That means, not having a scooped or saddle deformity of the nose dorsum, a resculpted tip, and a narrowed base. All of these, as you age, need to age with you after a well done rhinoplasty. If they are overdone initially they may look good for 3-6 months and then continue to look quite tragic with aging with the dorsum being scooped out and the tip being too pointed.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Rhinoplasty consultation includes analysis of your nose and concerns. Afterward? You...only better

+1

A consultation regarding rhinoplasty surgery should include a detailed analysis of your nose, along with consideration of any of the concerns that have bothered you over the years. 

The fact that you have thought about this surgery for some time makes you an excellent candidate since you will have very clear goals in mind.  A well-performed rhinoplasty should look so natural after the healing is completed that others won’t know that you’ve ever had surgery.  In fact, my goal with rhinoplasty surgery is to make your nose look so natural and well-proportioned that the nose doesn’t catch an observer’s attention at all.  Since the changes that you are looking for sound like they are quite subtle, others will think you look better, without being able to put their finger on why.  You will look like yourself – only better.

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to expect from rhinoplasty consultation

+1

With the rhinoplasty operation, it is important to preserve the original anatomy of the nose, however, feminize and refine the existing bone and cartilage.  The skin structure stays the same.  During the rhinoplasty procedure the hump is removed and the nasal bones are narrowed.  The tip can also be narrowed if it is bulbous and any columellar show can be trimmed inwards.  Any deviation of the nasal bones can also be straightened at the same time.  The tip can be raised up or lowered depending upon the patient’s needs, wishes, and desires at the time of the surgery.  

Still looking yourself after rhinoplasty

+1

An excellent rhinoplasty surgeon can tailor the operation to the goals of the patient. The surgery shouldn't be a one size fits all approach.

The features of your nose that you aren't happy with can be improved with surgery. Computer morphing would be an exceptionally appropriate way to relate what level of changes you desire .

For example, some patients prefer to maintain some of their nasal bridge bump; they'd just like to tone it down. Others want more significant removal.

How surgery would change your appearance can be seen via computer morphing. Also invaluable is to review before and after photographs of other patients the surgeon has operated on. Such real world results provide a great insight into the surgeon's aesthetic and what they can actually achieve.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty should make a sleek, attractive nose.

+1

IMHO after performing Rhinoplasty for over 20 years, it's purpose is to create a sleek, attractive nose.  If this is accomplished, the overall attractiveness of the face must be increased however, be very sure that you want the size and shape of your nose changed as history has taught Rhinoplasty surgeons there is a small group of patients with large dorsal humps (similar to your photo) seek Rhinoplasty, to have this removed, only to miss their original nose shape. 

This can be avoided, IMHO by you looking at pictures of noses in magazines to identify what you like and find attractive.  Bring some of these to your consultation as a way to open an information exchange as to what type of nose you like or don't like.  This will allow an experienced Rhinoplasty surgeon to councel you properly as to what can or should be done specifically to your nose.

IMHO inspired plastic surgery, including Rhinoplasty, always makes you a more attractive version of yourself....

Natural Rhinoplasty Results

+1
You answered your own question in stating that a rhinoplasty result that suits your face is what should be done. Unfortunately, too many rhinoplasty surgeons attempt to create what is thought of as the 'ideal' nose. In many cases this ends up looking inappropriate for one's face since no one I ever met has the ideal face. My advice to all my San Diego rhinoplasty patients is to reshape the features of your nose that bother you but leave it alone otherwise. In this manner you can avoid having a nose that looks like it had rhinoplasty. Also take a close look at their photo gallery of rhinoplasty results to get a better idea of their nasal reshaping esthetic style.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Consultation

+1

A good, experienced rhinoplasty surgeon should meet your reasonable expextations. During consultation he/she should discuss alternative techniques and recovery. Pick a surgeon that shows you results you like in patients with noses similar to yours. The toughest part of your operation will be the selection of your surgeon. Be patient and do your homework.

Look like you only better!

+1

Rhinoplasty in expert hands can yield beautiful results and your desire to still have "your nose" is a very good sign.  When patients come for a consultation, I often ask what they dislike about their nose when they look in a mirror.  If a patient asks to have someone else's nose (like Jennifer Aniston), that is a red flag!! 

There are many issues that can be successfully addressed by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.  These include:

• Wide or bulbous nasal tip
  • Tip turned down or up
  • Nasal hump
  • Nostrils too wide
  • Asymmetries
  • ...many more!

The underlying philosophy here is that the surgeon is addressing a specific issues that bother you, making your nose look better, but not giving you someone else's nose.

Andrew Winkler, MD
Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to do with my nose?

+1

You should consider digital imaging/morphing as a means of communication to your surgeon what your desired outcome is.

Sam Naficy, MD