Rhinoplasty Advice for a Natural-looking Yet Noticeable Result?

I'll be getting rhinoplasty, and I need advice on what to do to make it how I desire. I want a noticeable difference in my nose, but I don't want it looking artificial.

For the bridge, I want it to be narrowed so that from the front view it looks like it tapers into the tip (most narrow portion would be in the middle area). From the side view I want a very slight scoop or slope (right now, it has a slight hump). I want the nostrils narrowed slightly; I don't know what to do with the tip, should I have it slightly narrowed accordingly also?

I want to maintain the round appearance of my nose, I dont want a sharp or pinched nose. Would removing columella work? Look up Nick Jonas: that's the appearance Im looking for.

Imaging during your consult will help match your expectations with your surgeons

+2

Based on your picture, the changes you seek seem very appropriate. As mentioned, the ability to use computer morphing software to visualize your expectations and those of your surgeons is key. The surgeon would modify the structure in question with input from you, directed by you, and therefore approved by you. The surgeon shows what is obtainable, not just sells you on an ideal as pure marketing. The other value of this process is that you can see how all of the regions of the nose blend to a natural look when done appropriately. Small refinements of the tip, bridge, and base all contribute to that balanced, natural, unoperated look.

The key is to find a surgeon that listens to you, and spends the time with the consult to make you comfortable. Comfortable with the process, the technique, the result, the care, and the integrity to stand by the results. The surgeons can all talk a bit about the actual surgical step, such as cephalic trim and interdomal stitches and osteotomies, but for those of us who do a lot of rhinoplasty, that is not as critical (different operative strategies can lead to the same esthetic result in well trained surgeons). The surgical key is less aggressive resections, but more stable reorientations in order to provide the balance and natural quality you seek.

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and natural looking results

+2

It is helpful that you have a vision of some of the changes you would like to see to your nose and helpful that you have a perceived surgical outcome. I think that a good rhinoplasty surgeon will be able to help you achieve these goals. Your frontal view gives me a good idea of some of the issues your surgeon will confront, such as wide dorsum, wide nasal Ala (nostrils), and thick skin. Other photos would also be helpful and I am certain that when you visit with a rhinoplasty surgeon they will take several views. I would caution you with regards to envisioning yourself looking like someone else, but, rather, your nose should help to accentuate your face

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

The answer is yes.  When patients mention celebrities, we use their pictures for discussion only.  You will only look like yourself, with a refined nose.  I'd pay attention to the following:

1. Thick nasal skin, limiting fine detail

2. Relatively narrow mid nasal vault (middle 1/3 of your nose where bone meets cartilage) requiring batten grafting after hump removal and upper 1/3 osteotomies

3. Wide nasal ala (nostrils) requiring reduction to maintain a triangular, more natural look

Ramtin Kassir, MD

Natural Rhinoplasty

+1

All noses should look natural after rhinoplasty. The tip should be narrowed slightly so it is proportional to the rest of the nasal structures. I would also narrow the base of your nose. During consultation, make sure you and your surgeon agree on what will change to clearly establish the goals of your operation.

Male rhinoplasty

+1

A rhinoplasty is a great way to improve the appearnce of the nose. I spend a lot of time with my patients during consultation so that we can discuss the patient's concerns and figure out a "game plan" for surgery that is in line with their desires. The key is realistic expectations.

Your surgeon's experience is critical in achieving a completely natural Rhinoplasty.

+1

I think you're an excellent candidate for Rhinoplasty surgery. Your expectations are reasonable in that you could have a narrower bridge, tip, and nostrils along with profile refinement.

You won't get a Jonas-nose. You'll get a refined version of your current nose.

You should interview several board-certified, experienced Rhinoplasty surgeons before proceeding. Computer imaging is helpful for you to see what you'll look like after Rhinoplasty surgery.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Natural nose appearance after Nose Job

+1

DBK

The most crucial step in having a good nose job result is picking a good nose surgeon with whom you can communicate; It can be either a Plastic Surgeon (from www.PlasticSurgery.org) or ENT surgeon.

A few comments :
- I am not a big follower of the Jonas Brothers but you and him do NOT share the same ethnicity and you have a much thicker skin. As a result different nose procedures may need to be done on you to try and achieve such a nose.

- As regards your nose "For the bridge, I want it to be narrowed so that from the front view it looks like it tapers into the tip (most narrow portion would be in the middle area). From the side view I want a very slight scoop or slope (right now, it has a slight hump). I want the nostrils narrowed slightly; I don't know what to do with the tip, should I have it slightly narrowed accordingly also?..."

Surgically, the back (dorsum of your nose) would need to be lowered and side walls need to be fractured (medial and lateral osteotomies) and moved in to lower the nose. The lower lateral cartilages of the tip would need to be narrowed and refined. A tip cartilage may need to be added due to the thickness of the skin. Finally, the flaring of the nostrils would need to be reduced (with a Weir excision).

Speak with your surgeon. Most of your concerns appear reasonable.

Good Luck.

Dr. P. Aldea

Options for changing the appearance of the nose (nose job rhinoplasty)

+1

Reviewing your concerns in order:

1. Subtle changes can be accomplished in order to maintain your ethnicity and keep it looking natural.
  2. Although you may desire the middle portion of your nose to be narrow, we must avoid making the middle one third too small as this could result in an inverted V and narrowed breathing passage or airway.
  3. A supporting graft or strut to the tip is often required to give the illusion of a "scoop" tip without making the nose too small.
  4. The nostrils can be made more narrow.
  5. The tip can be made to appear less full and less round.
  6. I would NOT reduce the columella. From the view here, it already appears that your columella is slightly retracted.

Natural-looking Rhinoplasty results

+1

Hi,

The best way for you to know what you are looking for in a rhinoplasty is to have your surgeon do computer imaging on your nose and explain to exactly how he is going to achieve those results.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Making a natural, non-noticeable nose is the mark of excellent surgery

+1

The issues you describe can all be done with slight refinement of the tip without pinching. The tip would look a little to wide if not done due to the narrowing of the rest of the nose. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon and live patients that he has done to evaluate what you will be getting. It's one thing to say you do natural noses and another to actually do them!