Rhinoplasty Advice?

I was thinking about having Rhinoplasty done in order to decrease the width of my nose. Right now, it's a too wide. I would also like to change the shape of it. I was wondering if you could give me some information about how this could be done regarding my specific case. I also have some acne problems that i have kept under control until recently. Can this effect the surgery? Is there special precaution that needs to be taken to those with acne problems?

Your nose can be definitely narrowed

+1

Your nose can be definitely narrowed and the Acne should not be a problem. Your acne should be under control before your surgery. There are many ways to control your acne through cleaning with a cleanser with salicylic acid, topical and oral antibiotics, a nightly retin A cream, etc.

For your nose, the width is ideally one iris width. Your nasal tip should also be one iris width. The base of your nose should be approximately 3 iris widths. When I mean an iris width it is the width of the colored portion of your eye. The narrowing will entail manipulating your nasal bones, and cartilage structures that dictate how wide your nose appears. The width at the base will entail taking some skin out around the base of your nose. This part can be done at a later time.

Choosing a surgeon with an eye for facial beauty is half the battle and more. For males, you may not want your nose to be perfectly ideal, as it could feminize your face. A wider nasal dorsum, tip and base is appropriate for the male nose and renders an element of masculinity.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose can certainly be narrowed

+1

Make sure acne is under good control prior to undertaking any rhinoplasty surgery. The nose can certainly be narrowed at the bridge in the tip to further balance with the facial features.

Find someone who specializes in Rhinoplasty

+1

The thickness and large size of your nose can make your case very difficult. Some surgeons may try to remove to much cartilage in order to make it smaller, which in turn will not support the skin envelope and deformities will result. It is extremely important to find a surgeon that specializes in rhinoplasty (not just plastic surgery in general), so you may be examined fully and proper expectations can be instilled. I think you can certainly have a nice improvement, though. Good luck.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for a wide nose

+1

Your problems is not an uncommon one, but difficult to answer without further information. In general though, one can make a large nose smaller with rhinoplasty, but not necessarily small. A profile image would be great to see, but most likely you would need attention to the nasal bones which would need to be "cut" and moved to make the nose more narrow. Along with this the cartilage that makes up the tip would need to be re-modeled to a more narrow and perhaps less projecting configuration. At the end of all this the nose would be better, but you would still look like you.

Phillip H. Nakano, MD

Rhinoplasty in Thick, Oily Nasal Skin Young Male

+1

Hi Kenzo,

If your nose is bothering you cosmetically, you should see a (or a few) rhinoplasty specialist(s) in your area. Your nose does appear large, and likely can be made a bit smaller through rhinoplasty.

In your case, it appears that you have thick and oily skin (hence the acne break outs). Thick, oily young male skin does not lend itself well to dramatic changes in the tip contour. Your surgeon after examining you should be able to give you a realistic idea of what to expect.

If you have been on Accutane, it is necessary to stop and be off the drug for at least 6 months before having surgery.

Peter Adamson, MD is an excellent rhinoplastic surgeon in the Toronto area.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Rhinoplasty has tremendous potential

+1

Rhinoplasty today has tremendous potential, especially with the the control afforded by open techniques to accurately shape the nose. The tip of the nose in your picture is quite heavy, and the bridge of the nose is broad.

The best way to view possible results and options is to search out a surgeon in your area who can simulate changes in your nose through computer imaging programs. The pictures do not show exactly what you will look like, rather they will demonstrate how certain changes such as narrowing the bridge will change facial appearance. This can be an invaluable tool to help you communicate with the surgeon your feelings about the potential outcome, an also give you and idea of what is possible and whether you like it.

Take your time sorting out your goals and in your selection process of a qualified surgeon in your area.

peterejohnsonmd

You need to be seen and evaluated.

+1

Over the internet, our opinions are unreliable. I am an experienced rhinoplastic surgeon, as such, I need to see you inperson to evaluate what you have and what can be done.

You can expect improvement, but see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon for an opinion in person.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

You have a large male nose!

+1

When noses are evaluated, frontal projection and lateral views are used to assess surgical options. Your nose appears generally large for your face. Finesse issues are less likely to change because acne prone male skin tends to be thicker and less likely to show fine detail. Your nose would benefit from reduction rhinoplasty that generally reduces the nose proportionally in all three dimensions. I agree with Dr. Kasden's preliminary ideas. Seeing a Rhinoplasty specialist in your area (and there are several in Toronto) for an evaluation is a must.

Good luck.

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Here is my 2cents

+1

First, you only present us with one view, so information is somewhat limited. That said, it appears that your nose in general is wide. Based on inadequate information, my assessment is that the bony structure must be narrowed, the upper and lower cartileges must also be narrowed. It also looks like your nostrils are too wide, and consideration should be given to narrowing this as well.

The acne should not affect surgery.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD