Would Rhinoplasty Help Me Achieve This Nose or Would It Be a Waste?

Lately I have become very unhappy with my nose. When I look in the mirror it doesn't appear too bad but then I see myself in a picture and realize how wide and "fat" it is. I feel like it takes over. After doing some research I think I may have a "thick" nose but I'm not sure. If that's the case I don't think I will be able to achieve the nose I want. Do I want to look like a different person? No but I want to see my results. I want my nose to be more delicate and thin.

Rhinoplasty for thick skinned noses is possible

+1

I think you would want to look like a better version of you, instead of a different person. You certainly appear to have given this some significant thought and are approaching it with a mature attitude.

Plastic Surgery in general, and rhinoplasty in particular, is about self-confidence and achieving an appearance that comports with your inner vision of you.  

It also isn't like Mr. Potato Head where you pick a nose from one face and put it on another.  If you have thick skin and an appearance that you don't enjoy, by all means seek a consultation from a responsible rhinoplasty surgeon who can guide you if your concepts are realizable.

This is an exciting time for my patients -- when they start to explore and learn -- but how they can achieve their goals.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Picking Nasal Appearance out of a Catalogue

+1

You cannot pick a nose you want out of a catalogue because there are too many variables which must be considered; each surgery is individualized. In 35 years I've never done 2 noses exactly the same.  Consult with an experienced surgeon to establish reasonable expectations; take the pictures which demonstrate the "ideal" nose.

Achieving expected results after rhinoplasty

+1

The best approach to having your question answered is to have an in person consultation with an experienced surgeon to discuss the possible outcome from rhinoplasty. Each patient's individual characteristics influence the final result after rhinoplasty.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Rhinoplasty Results

+1

Great questions! I would first suggest that you see a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in Rhinoplasty (Nasal Surgery)....you have done an incredible amount of educating yourself on the internet, now have a professional educate you on your anatomy and what your outcome may be.

We provide 3D morphing of your nose in our office and patients love to see, in incredible detail, what their results MAY look like. I think a picture of yourself, morphed into before and after, is worth a thousand words!

I hope this helps!

Good luck..

Dr. C

John Philip Connors III, MD

Rhinoplasty results and expectations

+1

What you need to do is visit some experienced rhinoplasty surgeons, and there are some excellent ones in NYC of course.  Ask them to examine you and discuss the potential results you can achieve.  You cannot pick your result out of photos as your own starting point in terms of the anatomy and tissues will limit what you can achieve even in the best of hands.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty Evaluation is Necessary

+1

The description you give of your nose, and your unhappiness with your appearance is only part of the puzzle.  If you wish to pursue this further, an evaluation by an experienced, skillful Rhinoplasty is necessary.  At this time, the potential changes to be made and the nature of the results can be more discussed in depth.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

Everyone is somewhat limited by their anatomy in terms of improvement. If you have very thick oily skin, then you can not make the skin thin to show off the underlying architecture as well.

Nose Surgery May or May Not help you

+1

Regarding: "Would Rhinoplasty Help Me Achieve This Nose or Would It Be a Waste?
Lately I have become very unhappy with my nose. When I look in the mirror it doesn't appear too bad but then I see myself in a picture and realize how wide and "fat" it is. I feel like it takes over. After doing some research I think I may have a "thick" nose but I'm not sure. If that's the case I don't think I will be able to achieve the nose I want. Do I want to look like a different person? No but I want to see my results. I want my nose to be more delicate and thin
. "

While I appreciate you reluctance to have your nose on the Internet, posting multiple detached views of your nose is utterly useless. To begin to comment on your nose, a surgeon would have to examine you or failing that, would need to look at several pictures of your face WITH the nose. Without the backdrop of the cheeks lips and chin to suggest size and proportion I find myself essentially blinded.

I suggest that you see several Plastic surgeons and see what each one suggests then armed with this specific information make your choice.

Good Luck.

Dr. Aldea

Rhinoplasty Help Me

+1

As the previous expert posters have commented YES a rhinoplasty can help. But you need to see 3 or more boarded rhinoplasty surgeons to help find the answers to what you need. 

Choosing your result from rhinoplasty

+1

Looking at before and after pictures of rhinoplasty patients can be helpful, however the results reflect others choices about how their nose should look and you may or not be happy with such a result. True also, that a study of noses that you like in the media, magazines, or on line can also be very helpful to illustrate to your surgeon what you like best in nasal shape, yet may not be achievable given your facial and nasal shape, and skin type. I would encourage you to take all your ideas of an 'ideal' nose with you when you go for consultation as this will demonstrate best what your goals are. Through the use of computer simulation your surgeon can then adjust your photo to illustrate what changes are realistic given your particular anatomy. If you do not see what you want, rhinoplasty may not be right for you.

peterejohnsonmd