Swollen Tip 4 Months After Second Rhinoplasty

1st rhino didn't touch the tip,now I got a tip refinement.Was ok after taking the cast and with swelling down should have been fine.Now the nose is very swollen in the tip, BIGGER than before. Doc says that unswelling from now on should be minimal so this is the final result. It will still go down?

4 months post-op

+1

Four months post surgery is still very early for you to judge the results of your surgery, especially in the tip.

In general it is a good idea to wait about one year before seeking a revision.  There are a number of good reasons for this which your surgeon can discuss with you.

Also - discuss Kenalog or 5-FU injections with your surgeon

Swelling common after rhinoplasty

+1

Depending on the extent of the surgery performed at the time the secondary rhinoplasty pain ans swelling will be visible in the tip for up to and beyond a year.  I recently had a patient who had a secondary rhinoplasty who was still having significant swelling three months out.  This was very concerning to her but I let her know that this is not uncommon in secondary rhinoplasty.  She actually now is doing much better but it has taken around 4 months.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

SWELLING AFTER SECONDARY RHINOPLASTY

+1

Secondary rhinoplasty is usually more difficult than primary, and more swelling is to be expected.

I recommend waiting another 8 months and then have your surgeon evaluate the result.  Remember, having surgery too soon will only re-start the cycle of swelling and may lead to scarring under the skin.

I know it is difficult, but be patient!

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Resolution of Tip Swelling

+1

You don't mention when your surgery was done. Tip swelling can take one year to resolve and does vary depending on what  was done. Although this was your second rhinoplasty, it was not a revision of your tip which was not changed during the 1st surgery. Therefore it will heal faster than if this was a tip revision. If your surgeon feels the tip size will not decrease and definition will not improve, discuss treatment alternatives.

Rhinoplasty

+1

Secondary rhinoplasty is more difficult than primary rhinoplasty and takes longer for the swelling to dissipate.

It will take a year for all the swelling and the final result to show.

See a Board Certified plastic Surgeon and have MULTIPLE opinions

Swelling after tip rhinoplasty

+1

It is not uncommon to have some swelling of the nasal tip that can last up to one year after a rhinoplasty where significant work on the nasal tip is done. However, if you have concerns you should see your surgeon so that he can address them. Sometimes during the healing process it is necessary to place injections of steroids to decrease the scar tissue and better define the tip but that decision is best left to your rhinoplasty surgeon. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon