Lost Weight after Recent Illness, It's Changed the Appearance of 28yr Old Rhinoplasty, How Can I Restore Appearance?

I had rhinplasty 28 years ago. After a recent illness, I lost weight along with cheek fat. Fat from bridge of my nose moved down to the tip making it bulbous but more incredible my nostrils moved downward about l/4 of an inch. (I recall having an icthy sensation and pulling on my nose while I was ill.) There's fat under my nose not previously there which appears to me had been higher up and under(like a base) my nose/nostrils. I've had two septal surgery in the past 5yr. My pretty nose is gone! Did I pull it off its base? Can fat be pushed back up under nose/nostrils?

Weight Loss and Rhinoplasty

+1

In general, weight loss does not effect your rhinoplasty results unless you’ve had severe weight loss and loss of facial fat, however, that would be highly unusual in the nose. Your face may lose facial fat with massive weight loss and your nose may look more prominent, but weight loss does not usually effect nasal shape after rhinoplasty.

+1

Sadly, No..fat would not push the nose back and is more likely to create a whole new set of unappreciated aesthetic changes to your face.  There's no real fat tissue, within the nose, to speak of so it's more liekly loss of fat within the face tissues itself that's responsible for the changes.  Whether it's a Rhinoplasty, filles or cheek implants to fill out the cheeks would depend on seeing photos of your nose and face at this time.

Best Treatment for Loss of Support of Nose After Large Weight Loss

+1

Hi Noy,

At the recent American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2011 Annual Fall meeting, Val Lambros, MD showed photos of patients whose nose tips/nostrils drop with aging.  In your case, it is most likely that you have lost support at the base of your nose.  Once you have made sure that you do not have a degenerative disease of your nose (see an ENT or Facial Plastic Surgeon), then the support can be restored with volume replacement.  In my practice I prefer to use Sculptra injections to restore the support of the nose.  Many patients comment after their treatment , "Oh, this is the nose that I had when I was a teenager."  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Nose change after weight loss

+1

It would be unusual for weight loss to change the nose. You mentioned that you were ill. Some  autoimmune diseases can destroy cartilage and I don't know what your illness was. More likely the soft tissue changes in your face are making your nose seem different. If you are planning to gain the weight back then I would just wait and see. If not then go for a consult.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose changes after weight loss

+1

weight loss can effect the tissues of the face itself and possible the support of the nose as a secondary issue.

if this is your permanent new weight ,  you'll need to see a plastic surgeon for advice as to what can be improved and how

Change is Nasal Appearance With Weight Loss

+1

It is difficult to explain the changes in nasal appearance , because there is very little fat  in the nose. Fat should not shift with weight loss. Picture would be helpful. You should consult with the surgeon who has done your septal work.