Rhinoplasty 17 Years Ago, but Still Crooked Nose

I had a rhinoplasty done 17 years ago and my nose is very crooked. What can be done to make my nose even on both sides and also to make it more pretty?

I feel like too much of the inside of my nose can be seen from the outside too. I tried to attach a picture but it wouldn't work.

How to Improve a Crooked Nose

+1

I'm sorry you achieved less than an ideal result with your original surgery. Consult with an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon and he/she will clarify will clarify how much improvement is reasonable.In 35 years, i've never told a patient that their nose will not be physically better after revision of a single previous operation. You will decide if that improvement will meet your expectations.

How to fix a crooked nose

+1

The remedy depends on the specific problem. If there is a bone distortion, the remedy would typically lie in repositioning the bone. Also, if the problem is with the cartilage the problem would typically require either a modification of the existing cartilage or the addititon of new cartilage.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Crooked noses are one of the most common reasons for surgery

+1

Patients come in for many reasons to have their noses fixed. In a recent study I did with 200 consecutive patients seeking revision rhinoplasty (due to be published this spring), a crooked nose is the #2 reason people want their noses re-done. There are many techniques uses to straighten the nose through both an endonasal (closed) and open approach. The specifics depend on your individual findings. What is interesting is that many revision patients also wait many years before having surgery again. It is important to see a specialist in revision rhinoplasty since what may seem simple can be more complex underneath. Still, most patients get favorable results.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Crooked Nose Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

A crooked nose is usually related to three problems, a crooked nasal septum, shifting of the nasal bones, and malposition of the upper lateral cartilages in the middle of the nose. Sometimes the tip cartilages can be shifted as well. All elements involved must be reoriented and fixed. For the nasal bones, they will often need to be fractured and placed in the proper position realigning them.

Next, the nasal septum requires straightening with a septoplasty internally. Cartilage grafting to support the softer middle nasal cartilages and tip cartilages is often required to support areas that have shifted, almost like placing new beams in a wall of a house.

Andrew Jacono, MD

Rhinoplasty revision

+1

Revision can certainly be performed if you are unhappy and your goals are realistic. It would be hard to suggest anything without seeing photos at the least and examining you in person.

Improving a crooked nose

+1

Perhaps one of the most difficult types of rhinoplasties to perform is straightening a crooked nose especially one that is very deviated. From what you are describing, it can be done but typically requires resetting or rebreaking the nose and pushing it toward the midline. Grafting of cartilage may also be required to correct any depressions or uneveness once the nose is straightened.

Finally, it sounds as if you may have experienced shortening of the ala or nostrils which allows the inside of your nose to be seen. That will most likely require cartilage grafting from either your septum, ears, or ribs to bring the nostrils downward and correct that problem. I hope this information gives you some thought. I certainly would recommend a facial plastic surgeon with experience in performing a large number of rhinoplasties.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

You seem to have more than one issue with your nose, crocked, and much elevated tip.

You will need a full evaluation and you will need a seondary rhinoplasty depending on the findings during the examination.

Crooked after rhinoplasty

+1

Crooked noses are difficult to get perfectly straight. However, a revision rhinoplasty can help to correct crookedness and asymmetry that a previous procedure missed. I suggest you get a consultation with a revision rhinoplasty surgeon. A personal consultation with an experienced surgeon will give you the understanding you need to make your decisions. For examples, you may view my photos posted on realself and on my website. Good luck.

Dr T.

Behrooz Torkian, MD

Plastic surgery for a crooked nose

+1

There are a variety of procedures and interventions to straighten a crooked nose. MAny of these require the use of cartilage grafts. Depending on what was done at the first procedure these grafts can be obtained from the nose or possibly the ear or ribs. Discuss your options with a qualified plastic surgeon.

Your crooked nose can be improved

+1

It is tough to answer this question without looking at a photo of your nose, but even if there was a photo of your nose, I would tell you to find a plastic surgeon to examine you who does rhinoplasty and is comfortable doing revision rhinoplasty, or secondary rhinoplasty.

There are many techniques which you might need to improve your crooked appearance after your previous surgery. An open rhinoplasty approach is probably what most surgeons would do, and you may need cartilage taken from your septum, ear, or rib.

Your description of too much of the inside of your nose being seen leads me to believe that your tip may be too rotated (upturned), or perhaps the alae (the edges of the nostrils) are too high. These kinds of problems from a previous procedure can be challenging to fix. Again, seek out a plastic surgeon who is capable of performing this kind of revision surgery.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon