Is Rhinoplasty at 17 Realistic? (Male)

I was just wondering if having a nose job at 17 for purely cosmetic reasons was realistic. I realize consulting a plastic surgeon is the best way to find this out, but I figured getting actual doctors opinions beforehand could be beneficial. I believe I am both physically as well as emotionally set for the procedure. However, I've read contradicting information on whether or not a surgeon would be willing to operate on someone under 18 if there was no medical reason. Thanks in advanced, Andrew

Rhinoplasty at 17

+1

Rhinoplasty can be performed on young men and woman after their facial growth has been completed. This typically translates into age 15-16 for woman and 16-17 for men.

Rhinoplasty At Age 17 - No Problem

+1

Absolutely no problem at 17 to get a nose job. In most people by the age of 14 the facial features especially the nose are fully developed and a rhinoplasty if indicated if perfectly fine to do. 

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty at Age 17

+1

Over the past 35 years I've seen very few 17 year old males who were physically not candidates for rhinoplasty surgery. I have done nasal surgery on boys for medical indications who were younger than you without any post-op problems.

Rhinoplasty OK for motivated teenager

+1

Any cosmetic procedure requires serious thought and you are doing the right thing soliciting questions from surgeons. In general, we like to wait until young men have had their growth spurt before considering cosmetic rhinoplasty. At age 17, you most likely have matured enough physically (and mentally!) to have a rhinoplasty. I had my rhinoplasty at age 14 (can be earlier in girls) and felt it was the best thing I ever did. Make sure you have considered why you want to have surgery, what changes in your nose you desire, then consult with a surgeon to see if those goals are achievable with surgery.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

You are old enough. Be sure you are well-informed.

+1

Your nasal development has just about finished at 17.  If there is any more development it is insignificant.  So the other questions are more important -  your concerns, your reasons for wanting the surgery, and, most importantly, making sure you have appropriate expectations.  You will not have trouble finding a surgeon.  Just be sure you are well-informed, so that you are likely to be satisfied with the result.  Insist on seeing plenty of before and after photos.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty at 17

+1

Medically, all boys and girls are physically ready at 17 to have a cosmetic rhinoplasty.

Emotionally, sometimes people of all ages are not ready for a cosmetic procedure. 

Some rules of thumb for determining if you are emotionally ready;

1- Are you aware that surgery can hurt?

2- Are you aware that surgery involves bruising, swelling that can last for years?

3- Are you aware that surgery can have complications that can result in severe consequences?

4- Are you doing this for yourself or to make other people happy or want you as a boyfriend or girlfriend?

5- Did anyone, including parents make you feel bad about your nose, thus pushing you to have this surgery?

Ask these questions and then seek out a reputable Plastic Surgeon to see if you are a candidate.

Good Luck!

Robert M. Freund, MD

Age for Male Rhinoplasty

+1
17 is typically fine for males seeking rhinoplasty. Obviously factors such as physical and emotional maturity are important, but growth centers in the nose are not a serious concern at that age. More important is to make sure that your nose does not get overdone. Remember that your chin and face will likely continue to strengthen until age 21-23. A conservative profile reduction is often the best choice for men below that age. All the best

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty at age 17

+1

if you are mentally ready and your parents are on board, it's not numeric age but body age. Ideally  i prefer not to perform rhinoplasty on males who have not completed their bone growth. If you do so there is a small chance of having things change and be out of proportion if the facial skeleton changes. If you have completed bone growth (your pediatrician can do growth plate x ray to check if you are not sure then go for the consult.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty at age 17 is realistic

+1

For young men, 17 is a good age to consider rhinoplasty. We start to see young women at age 15 to 16, and young men usually are interested a bit later at age 16 to 17. Your face will have the necessary growth and maturity for a great result.

peterejohnsonmd

Rhinoplasty at 17 should be fine.

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and IMHO, boys at 16 and girls at 15 are generally physically able to have a Rhinoplasty (nose is full grown).  However, there are always exceptions and it's the maturity of the teen that makes me decide whether they are or aren't a suitable candidate for a Rhinoplasty at those previously stated ages. 

I'm looking for the teen's ability to understand that a Rhinoplasty is surgery, is therefore serious, that they take responsibility, after the Rhinoplasty, to follow instructions and to do the things that will ensure proiper healing and a good aesthetic result.  If, during the consultation with the parents, the teen displays the ability to meet those criteria and wishes to make the nose more attractive understanding what can and can't be aesthetically imporoved...I see no reason that they can't have the Rhinoplasty.