I Had Rhinoplasty over 12 Months Ago & I Am Very Unhappy with the Results & Would Like a Revision. My Surgeon Does Not Agree?

From one side of my face my nose looks good but from the other, there is a definite bump that remains, making my nose appear a very ugly shape. This really, really bothers me, I hate it. I have tried to expressed my concerns to my surgeon but that did not go well. Instead my he told me that he thought it looked great and no one would notice! The problem is that I notice!! I felt like my surgeon dismissed my feelings, and wanted to talk me out of a revision. Am I able to insist on a revision?

Revision rhinoplasty

+2

It sounds like you and your surgeon both agree there is a remaining bump, but disagree on whether or not it is worth trying to fix. It is also possible your surgeon does not think it can get better in his/her hands. I would not recommend insisting your current surgeon operate on you, because he/she may not be the best person to do this. In this type of situation I think it is best to seek out a board certified plastic or facial plastic surgeon who has experience with revision rhinoplasty. Surgeons with experience doing revisions are accustomed to seeing patients who have concerns like yours, and have experience correcting such irregularities. At times a large procedure is required to correct what seems like a small irregularity, and in cases like this you really have to be willing to undergo the downtime and healing process, and feel it is worth it for the change you wish to see. It is helpful to take copies of old operative reports, and any photographs from before surgery and after surgery illustrating what you are unhappy with. In Los Angeles, we also see patients that look great in person but have small irregularities that show up on film or in photographs, and understand this can affect one's career. These irregularities can be improved, but only after one fully understands the risks and downtime involved, and also that there is still a chance of further revision. (Revisions are more likely for revision rhinoplasty than primary rhinoplasty)

Revision rhinoplasty - need for revision or the enemy of good?

+2

The advice to seek a few consultations is a very good one.

Before you choose to go ahead with your revision rhinoplasty, be certain that the prospective surgeon has two things:  first, the ability to improve your appearance, and second, (and most importantly) your best interest in mind.

Remember, in every 'end stage nose,' where patients have had numerous surgeries and disastrous results, there is a point where patients wished they had stopped.

Sometimes the enemy of good is better.

Brent Moelleken, MD

+1

Dear Flowerpot,

Thank you for your question.  It sounds like there is a disagreement between you and your surgeon.  If you are not satisfied with his explanation, then you can always get a second opinion from a surgeon who is well experienced in revision rhinoplasty.  If that surgeon agrees with your other surgeon, then may want to leave it alone. However, if he thinks an improvement can be made, then may consider it.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

After one year the results of your rhinoplasty are pretty much complete.  It shouldn't change much over time.  If you aren't happy, then you should tell your surgeon specifically what is bothering you.  Realize that there are limitations and risks that come with revision surgery.  As long as you can accept those risks, then you should either insist on a revision or seek a second opinion.  If your surgeon is not comfortable or confident that he can deliver your expectations, then for sure seek a second opinion.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Patient and Surgeon Disagree on Need for Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

If your surgeon does not agree with you on the need for a revision rhinoplasty I don't think you should insist that he do the necessary work. You should work with a surgeon who shares your aesthetic tastes and your goals. Unfortunately I feel it would be best for you to get a second opinion from a revision rhinoplasty specialist. 

Revision Rhinoplasty When Patient Wants It, and Surgeon Does Not

+1

Hi Flower Pot,

Sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with your rhinoplasty result.  A bump on the nose one year after rhinoplasty can be taken care of with a revision procedure that is usually much less involved than the original surgery.  Unfortunately, one cannot force a surgeon to perform an operation that they feel is not needed.  You can get opinions from other rhinoplasty specialists.  In some cases, an injectable filler can correct the problem without having to undergo revision rhinoplasty.  Photos of your nose would be helpful.  Choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Revision rhinoplasty.

+1

If he does not feel he can improve this get a second opinion from another surgeon. If the only thing u need is filing down the bump this can be done under local anesthesia or general. Choose an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon. 

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

any surgeons have gotten into trouble doing surgery their patients wanted but they did not want to do. If you really want a revision and he/she will not do it see another surgeon. If that surgeon is also reluctant that is a red flag. Your post without a corroborating photo is also a red flag.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Aaron Stone, MD