I Just Had a Rhinoplasty a 10 Hours Ago and the Cast the Doctor Put on Feels Too Heavy, Like It Will Wreck the Result?

It is a plaster cast. Apart from correcting the sinus issues the main reason for the op was to lift the tip by inserting a prosthetic. My nasal tip drooped and was rounded from two previous surgeries. Im really worried that this heavy plster cast is going to push the tip down and my nose will stay drooped!

External nose cast feels too heavy

+2

Not to worry. This is only a temporary feeling. The cast is there to protect your nose and to control swelling. If issue persists call your surgeon. Best wishes, Dr. H

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty healing

+2

casts or splints just controll the swelling

the nose usually feels heavy because of the swelling itself and the surgery

call your doctor with concerns

Heavy casts

+2

External casts are for external protection and try to keep the swelling down. The external casts should not affect what the internal work by your surgeon.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Plaster nasal cast too heavy for nose?

+2

Whatever support your surgeon placed to improve your drooping tip I would expect that it would be durable enough to support your cast.

When performing this kind of revision rhinoplasty surgery we must be sure that the nose can withstand the significant scar contracture forces as the nose heals. This scar contracture would likely be more significant than the temporary cast your surgeon placed.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty healing

+1

Although it is unlikely that the cast applied by your surgeon will cause any damage to your nose, you should check with your doctor regarding your concern. The reason is that during the early postoperative period, the result may be influenced by small interventions. It is possible that your cast shifted. Your surgeon can evaluate your concern, and will have the opportunity to make any adjustments to ensure your comfort and optimal healing. Good luck.

James M. Pearson, MD

+1

IMHO, you should just relax and allow your Rhinoplasty surgeon to advise you through the post Rhinoplasty healing phase which includes following his/her instructions, cast and all.

Heavy cast

+1

You should be calling your doctor for advice about this. How do you expect internet answers t guide you 10 hours after your surgery.? If you had enough confidence in your surgeon to let him/her operate on you then let him know your concerns.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon