Do I Need to Thin the Skin on my Nose Before I Get a Rhinoplasty?

I have sebaceous oil glands and despartley want rynoplasty, saw 2 different plastic sugens they both agreed that i would need co2 laser to help thin the skin on the nose. But one said it was better to do it before rynoplasty the other said i should do it after the rynoplasty, and well now i am confused as to who is correct and what i should do. I hate my nose and have been dreaming of the day to get it done now that i can no one really wants to touch it. Help?

Thinning the skin before a rhinoplasty

+3

Dear Bulba,

I agree with Dr. Mayer, avoid having any laser treatments on your nose. These treatments will likely do nothing of value either before or after a rhinoplasty. The thickness of the skin can be thinned a bit during the operation, but a good rhinoplasty surgeon will take this into account and perform an operation that should obviate the need for much skin manipulation. Furthermore, if the skin is a problem post op, it can be treated with steroid injections in the office. All the best.

Dr. A. Gantous

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thinning Nasal Skin with Rhinoplasty is NOT a good Idea

+2

The nasal skin is thicker along the lower portion of the nose covering the tip than the middle and especially the upper portions of the nose. While a thinner (although not extremely thin) lower skin nose is preferable because it will better conform to the underlying structures and reflect a refinement in tip structures, attempting to surgically thin it and especially thin it with laser (IE partially burn it) can destroy its blood supply and result in skin irregularities, ulcers and depressed scars. The better option is to use surgical techniques such as on-lay cartilage grafts to help conform the skin from the inside.

Thinning nasal skin

+2

Thick nasal skin can be difficult to manage with rhinoplasty.  Typically, thick skin can be thinned from the inside during the surgery.  CO2 laser of the skin on the outside combined with surgery can compromise the integrity of the tissues and lead to loss of skin over the nose.   An evaluation of your nasal anatomy and skin would be necessary to proceed.

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Treatment before Rhinoplasty

+1

I don't feel laser treatment before or after rhinoplasty will safely or effectively thin the nasal skin. While thick skin is very challenging and may limit the refinement and definition that can be achieved, a good surgeon will use techniques to get the best possible result.

Rhinoplasty and thinning skin

+1

Thinning the skin during rhinoplasty is not usually a good idea, it may leave unwanted depressions in the skin. 

Thinning Nasal Skin Before Rhinoplasty

+1

In general, laser treatments to the nasal skin prior to Rhinoplasty will be of little or no help (the exception is Rhinophyma or W.C. Fields nose).  Rhinoplasty is more difficult in patients with thicker skin, with more prolonged swelling, and with results that are typically less dramatic. As other posters have noted, nasal skin can be thinned during Rhinoplasty.  Unfortunately, results from nasal skin thinning are not always spectacular.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser before or after rhinoplasty

+1
The laser is not needed to thin the skin. It will not really Help. The skin is thinned with the surgery See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon and avoid the laser