Second Rhino/Septo in Nine Months?

Hey Guys, So I had rhino/septo performed last February (about nine months ago) by a ent surgeon. I'm scheduled to have another rhino/septo performed on Oct.12. Here's the thing, I didn't tell my new surgeon (plastics) about my previous surgery done by the ent surgeon. I'm afraid he will see the incision marks from the prior surgery and be unable to perform it. I'm flying home to do this surgery (I'm currently in school). What would be your best advice?

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

In general, it is best to wait a year before any revision work is performed. If there was no tip work, you may be able to do it sooner, but it really depends on your individual circumstances. Please note that it is extremely important you disclose any information about prior surgeries to your current surgeon. If you do not tell him or her ahead of time, this is not a good idea for the following reasons:

1) They will be underprepared for the nature of the work they are going to perform. This can create a stressful situation during surgery, and will have an effect on his or her initial plan for your surgery. This is especially the case if you obtained a poor result from your initial surgery, and are experiencing structural issues. However, this is something that is usually detectable during your pre-operative exam.
2) Residual swelling from the prior surgery will still be present, and will not allow your current surgeon to do his or her job as best as possible.

If you do not disclose information about previous surgery, your new surgeon will find out regardless once they start operating. Scar tissue will be present, along with other indications that you recently had work performed. To ensure the best possible outcome, I would recommend you tell your new surgeon about your previous surgery, as it will prevent any issues from taking place. Thanks, and I wish you the best of luck!

Revision septorhinoplasty during first year

+1

I would tell your surgeon who is performing the second surgery. Also, if you had seen your new surgeon in consultation and he evaluated your nose, I would be concerned that they did not notice you had had previous surgery. He should have been able to tell that you had previous incisions when he saw you in consultation and also it is best to not undergo a revision rhinoplasty sooner than one year from a previous septorhinoplasty. You may be setting yourself up for potential problems. It serves you and your surgeon best to be informed.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Be Honest with your Surgeon!!

+1

I can understand some hesitation to tell your surgeon you had already undergone a procedure, however, it is absolutely, 100%, ESSENTIAL that you are as honest and forthright as possible about your medical and surgical history to anyone operating on you. Withholding that information does both your surgeon, and most importantly, YOU a disservice. Would you withhold information about a new medication that dramatically affects healing to your surgeon? Medication that could increase your risk of severe bleeding during surgery? Of course not.

At the end of the day, your surgeon will find out you have had this surgery before--because of scar tissue, lack of cartilage in the place he or she is looking for it, etc. If he or she is not prepared for this, surgery will take longer and have a higher risk of poor results. Give your surgeon, and yourself, the best chance for success! And if he/she suggests you wait longer to undergo the procedure because of the recent surgery, it's likely because he/she believes that is the best way to achieve your desired result. Best of luck for your surgery!!

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon