I Had Rhino and Septoplasty 3 Weeks Ago. Hardness and Numbness, Normal?

I have daily hardness and numbness on my nose. When I massage it then it eases it slightly but always returns. Is this normal or am I having healing problems

Hardness numbness of the nose is normal for weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

Your observation is completely normal after rhinoplasty. Going forward you should see from week to week slight improvement in both of these observations.

Post Rhinoplasty Numbness

+1

Sam,

Thank you for taking the time to post a question. You are very early in the healing process and considerable changes will occur. Numbness of the nasal tip is common and return of normal sensation may take a considerable amount of time on the order of 6-12 months. As for the the hardness, it is difficult to tell you what it is exactly without seeing you in person. Most likely it is just the edema/swelling within the tissues. The ability to compress the harness away is consistent with edema and is expected. You should talk to your surgeon about this and see if he has any additional suggestions e.g. salt restriction, head elevation, etc). Be upfront with your surgeon, but be patient. I hope this helps. Take care. 

Robert Brobst, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon