I Had Rhino and Septoplasty 3 Weeks Ago. Hardness and Numbness, Normal?

I have daily hardness and numbness on my nose. When I massage it then it eases it slightly but always returns. Is this normal or am I having healing problems

Numbness after rhinoplasty

+1
In general, almost all noses are numb right after a rhinoplasty. In most cases its the tip that is numb, but this numbness can extend down to the upper lip, and in rare cases some of the teeth. There are nerves that are cut and stretched during a rhinoplasty, and it takes a long time for those nerves to start working again. This is true of an open as well as closed rhinoplasty, although it tends to be more extensive in open rhinoplasty. This could also be more extensive if a septoplasty is performed at the same time. This, along with the swelling, gives you a stiff, plastic type feel, and can give you an odd smile. However, the nerves will start working and again, and your nose stiffness will go away with time. As the nerves grow back, you may feel some tingling, itchiness and on occasion pain. This takes in most cases months, but can take years in rare cases. Extremely rarely, the numbness is permanent, although I have never seen such as case.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Post Rhinoplasty Numbness

+1

Sam,

Thank you for taking the time to post a question. You are very early in the healing process and considerable changes will occur. Numbness of the nasal tip is common and return of normal sensation may take a considerable amount of time on the order of 6-12 months. As for the the hardness, it is difficult to tell you what it is exactly without seeing you in person. Most likely it is just the edema/swelling within the tissues. The ability to compress the harness away is consistent with edema and is expected. You should talk to your surgeon about this and see if he has any additional suggestions e.g. salt restriction, head elevation, etc). Be upfront with your surgeon, but be patient. I hope this helps. Take care. 

Robert Brobst, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hardness numbness of the nose is normal for weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

Your observation is completely normal after rhinoplasty. Going forward you should see from week to week slight improvement in both of these observations.