Closed Rhinoplasty to Remove Hump Possible?

Hello, I am looking into having rhino done. My main concern is having the hump removed. I don't want to change too much. The hump is what bothers me the most. What would you recommend would be the best thing to do to it and do you think it's very possible to have a closed rhino in my case?

Hump removal with closed rhinoplasty

+1

A hump reduction can easily be performed with a closed rhinoplasty.  There is no need for an open rhinoplasty unless this is a revision.  Once the hump is removed, osteotomies will be performed to prevent an open roof deformity.  

Removing a hump with closed rhinoplasty

+1

Removing a nasal hump with closed rhinoplasty can be done.  However, this does not provide the visualization of the cartilage and bone as an open rhinoplasty approach might.  The middle cartilaginous vault of the nose must be reconstituted for functional and structural purposes after hump removal.  Good luck.

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Closed Rhinoplasty would remove the hump.

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty and revision Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and IMHO, a closed Rhinoplasty would be able to reduce the nasal hump that appears to be both cartilage and nasal bone.  You would also require lateral osteotomies to reduce the open roof caused by reducing the hump ( a normal consequence of removing dorsal humps)...what is termed "breaking the bones".  Typically takes about 1 hour, general anesthesia, no nasal packing used, will have a wafered plastic cast on the nose for 1 week.  Can fly after 1 week, avoid strenuous activity for 1 month, wearing glasses or blowing the nose for 6 months.  Hope this helps.

Closed Rhinoplasty for Hump Removal

+1

You are focused on your hump, but it is the rhinoplasty surgeon's responsibility to point out the complexities determining the deformity you perceive. Your hump is accentuated by inadequate tip projection and a low bridge (radix) at the top. Nevertheless, these can be corrected by an experienced surgeon with a closed technique. I prefer to do closed rhinoplasty for most hump removals that require less complex tip work. There is no visible scar, swelling is decreased and there are no sutures to remove. Another factor to consider is your chin, which may also accentuate the hump deformity if too small and/or retruded. Chin implantation is beneficial in this case.

Edmund Fisher, MD
Bakersfield Facial Plastic Surgeon

Closed rhinoplasty for hump

+1

In the right hands it can be done either way, but many patients are often concerned with only one feature on their nose that they wish corrected and think that taking care of that is all they need or want. Sometimes this is so and can be confirmed with computer imaging. As rhinoplasty surgeons we are often looking at what effect this change will have on the rest of the nose and realize that if you don't address some other areas just "taking away the bump" will leave you worse then you are. From your limited pictures it appears that you have some radix issues which need to be addressed, as well as tip under projection and weak middle vault. Without seeing your whole face it's difficult to say exactly what should be done in all these areas. Having said that the question then becomes does your surgeon feel comfortable doing all this closed or does he/she feel he can execute it better open? If he/she is comfortable and experienced closed then by all means do it that way, if not then do it open. Ultimately for you it is the result that will matter, not necessarily the path to get there. If the path is critical to you then you need to find a very experienced person with the approach you want.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

CLOSED RHINOPLASTY

+1

You should be able to achieve an excellent result with a closed Rhinoplasty.  You will also need to break the nose after reducing the hump otherwise your nose will appear too wide and flat.  Find an experienced Rhinoplasty surgeon.  The results will be dramatic!!  Good luck,

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Closed rhinoplasty for a nasal hump

+1

Excellent result can be had with a closed or open rhinoplasty, and many surgeons are skilled with both approaches as we are in our office. There are times when tip shaping can best be done with the open technique though excellent results are possible either way. Some ask specifically for a closed technique, and sometimes we favor a closed technique. Your hump can be reduced with closed rhinoplasty. Note that the biggest issue with your nose is not the hump, rather under projection of the tip should be addressed (open or closed) for the best result.

peterejohnsonmd

Closed vs open rhinoplasty.

+1
I was one of the first surgeons to do open rhinoplasty 37 years ago and showed what you give up with closed rhinoplasty. I still do closed rhinoplasty but not for a nose like yours that will need many grafts placed in addition to hump removal. This includes radix, speared. Tip and other areas. This can be done closed but you will not get as good a result. The open allows you to lift up the "hood" and see EXACTLY what you are doing.

Closed rhinoplasty allows fine tuning and decreases recovery time

+1

There are several advantages of closed rhinoplasty for you in particular.  Closed rhinoplasty allows fine tuning and decreases recovery time.

In addition, your tip is very flat and does not support itself independent of the height of the bridge--that is called "inadequate tip projection."

That means that in order to give you a straight profile, the bump needs to be lowered and the tip needs better support. The problem with open rhinoplasty in your case is that the open approach itself--just opening the nose--decreases tip projection, worsening your problem.  Then the surgeon needs to do something just to get you back to where you were before the operation, and then make you better.  Certainly this is the long way around, and adds more room for error.

As Dr. Siegal has written, your surgeon also needs to be sure that the sides of your nose stay supported with spreader grafts.

Good luck.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Closed rhinoplasty

+1

You appear to have the ideal situation for closed rhinoplasty. However, due to the popularity of open tip rhinoplasty, you may ned to look for a more senior surgeon trained in this technique. In this office abour half of our rhinoplasties are done closed.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD