What Are The Risks To Revison Necklift?

I had facelift/necklift 1 year ago. I had vy plasty to remove some excess skin under chin 7 months ago. My dr. wants to now do a revision of the neck. There is residual skin under my chin, appears to be scar tissue from the vy plasty as well. What are the risks of necklift revision? My dr. says he may need to fold the plastyma muscle under the chin inward and make a backcut in this muscle. Is there nerve damage risks in this type of surgery? Does backcutting cause problems? Dr. is ASPS.

Neck Lift Revision Risks.

+1

Good question.  There certainly are always risks involved with any surgery.  Revisional surgery carries some of the same risks as the original surgery but at times it can carry different risks.  Depending on your physicians approach the risk for nerve injury may be fairly low, especially if they use a midline approach.  The marginal mandibular branch of your facial nerve would be most at risk with this type of surgery in general.  The other question is doing surgery again at this point in time.  Without an exam I couldn't say for certain, but it might be advantageous to wait on any further surgery until more healing has transpired.  I typically won't re-operate on a patient for at least 12 months following this type of a procedure.  Again, without seeing you I can't say for certain and this is only a guidline.

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Risks to revision neck lift

+1

The risks of a revision neck lift are the same as that of primary neck lift.  The main issue is to make sure that your surgeon has made a correct diagnosis of the problem and has a sound plan to address it.

Sam Naficy, MD

Back cutting of the muscle with a neck lift and revision risks

+1

back cutting should not have a significant damage to nerves if done correctly. But I don't think this maneuver is very useful most of the time. But in your situation it could help. The risks of a neck lift revision is more than an original one but not much more most of the time. You might want to get some second opinions to make sure that you are headed in the right direction. Below is an example of a video that helps to answer this question for you to watch and a link to see more informative videos:

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Risks of revision necklift?

+1

The risks are similar to the origional operation which include but are not limited to infection, residual scarring, residual skin, ect. With any revision comes the additional concerns about pre-existing scar tissue which may further compromise the results. There are a number of technical alternatives which would be worth exploring with your plastic surgeon. 

Marshall T. Partington, MD, FACS

About the same as a primary necklift

+1

The overall  risks of revision facelift and neck lift should not be any higher than the primary face and neck lift if surgeon is competent. Risk of nerve injury should be comparable to primary surgery.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

What are the risks of a revision Neck Lift?

+1

The risks of a revision Neck Lift are about the same as they are for the primary Neck Lift.  There's always a risk of nerve injury to the marginal mandibular nerve, that innervates the lower lip, but an experienced Face Lift and neck lift surgeon should know how to avoid that area.  It sounds like you're having a Formal neck lift this time around, so discuss the surgery, risks and complications in detail with your plastic and cosmetic surgeon before proceeding with the surgery.  IMHO of performing Face and Neck Lifts for over 20 years, any board affiliation is not by itself a guarantee of experience or training despite what may be advertised.

What Are The Risks To Revison Necklift?

+1

Your doctor sounds like a very ethical, concerned surgeon. If you still are unsure obtain IN PERSON a second opinion. 

Necklift

+1

It sounds like you're well educated and are asking all the appropriate questions. If you had susbstantial neck skin that required a V-Y plasty, it would not be uncommong to have a revision months or years down the line. It also sounds like the time interval between your last neck procedure and the upcoming revision is also appropriate. The plastymalplasty, or neck contouring of the muscle will help with your soft tissue by suspending it. The backcut is a short distance and is commonly performed. The nerve you might be thinking of is either located much more deep compared to these superficial neck muscles or laterally near your jawline so everything should proceed without any major complication. 

Jeffrey D. Hoefflin, MD