Can I Have Liposuction Revisions After 6 Weeks?

I have seen my surgeon as I have irregularities on my right thigh after lipo (3.5 wks post op) and he agrees that revisions need to be performed (there's a dent and a 3cm difference in size). He said we can do it at 6 weeks post op, under local. Others are saying we should be waiting 6 months! Are revisions ok this early?? I really hope so because it's really obvious in person.

6 weeks is too early to do a liposuction revision

+1

Six weeks is really too early to do a liposuction revision, even if the problem is very noticeable.  There is inevitably a significant amount of swelling and inflamation on the post-surgical area that can mask the final result, which will make a revision difficult to perform accurately.  It is reasonable to perform revision surgery as early as 4-6 months; my suggestion is to wait.

Liposuction revision

+1

I would not recommend liposuction revision at 6 weeks after the previous procedure. I would wait at least 6 monthst for the swelling to come down.

Liposuction revision at 6 weeks

+1

In general, I would advise my patients to wait until 4-6 months after surgery prior to revisions but could modify this recommendation in unique circumstances. 

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/

When to Revise?

+1

This is always the million dollar question.when is the right time for a revision? If you can wait another few months so much the better.In my experience 6 weeks after lipo is not adequate so you get a revision and once the dust settles in 3,4 or more months you are at it again so the more time the better.Patience here is a good thing.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction revision

+1

Sorry to hear about your outcome.  It is too early to consider a revision.  Changes continue to occur for up to 6 months following surgery.  The problem with a revision that is executed too early is that further problems may become apparent later that can be addressed at the same time as the current issue.  Additionally, your problem may be over or undercorrected if resolution of swelling has not occurred prior to the revision.  Good luck.

Wait longer than six weeks to revise liposuction

+1

It is prudent to wait longer than six weeks after liposuction to allow for more healing, contraction and possibly other asymmetries or depressions to declare themselves prior to revising your result. It may be wiser to wait three to six months from the date of surgery.

Liposuction revisions are better done after 3-6 months.

+1

Liposuction revisions are better done after 3-6 months. The dent make get bigger or smaller depending on the swelling. Any decision is better put off for now.

Liposuction results do take time

+1

While you should see some difference soon after your liposuction, you are right that you aren't fully healed and "done" at 6 weeks.  I do see the asymmetries that you and your surgeon see, though.  6 weeks is generally what I consider to be too soon for a liposuction revision, but your surgeon may have some specific reason for suggesting it that early.  I would try to wait (especially for that right thigh "dent") at least 4-6 months, if you can.