Implant Never Dropped. Do I Need a Revision?

I have had my breast implants for nearly 3 years. My right breast never seemed to drop, I did the massages my PS taught me and wore the strap. I went back a year ago just for a check up and he suggested more massaging, which doesn't seem to help. The right breast is very soft, just high. This is not noticeable in clothes or a bra. Another reason it bothers me is when I lay down it seems to float up to my clavicle. Would this be a long recovery and how expensive? Thanks in advance!

Revision Candidate

+1

While the photograph suggests that you will need a revision, you will need an in person exam and comparison to the preoperative photos to identify the appropriate revision. Each office has a different policy regarding revisions so you will need to speak with the surgeon and/or office manager for clarification.

Breast Asymmetry After Implant Surgery

+1

A quick look at your photo shows that the right breast has more upper pole fullness, suggesting that perhaps the right implant is higher. However, on closer inspection, the breast crease on the right is also lower and the right breast is overall narrower in appearance. Several things come to mind.

1. Did you have preoperative asymmetry? (your nipple positions are different which could be due to preop asymmetry)

2. Do you have different size implants?

3. Although you say the right breast is soft, is it as soft as the left breast? There may be an issue of mild capsular contracture on the right that could be distorting the implant shape.

All of these are considerations and would need an in-person exam to truly lay out a plan. However, for the most part, I do think you will need some sort of revision in order to address your concerns. Typically revision breast surgery is less painful than primary breast surgery, especially if the implants are already under the muscle. The cost is highly variable. Most plastic surgeons discount the price if it is their own revision.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Dr. Babak Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Implants and breast asymmetry

+1

The interesting thing about your photo is that the right implant is higher than the left but the right crease is lower than the left and the right nipple is lower than the left.  So just "lowering" the right implant is somewhat simplistic and you need a more careful in person analysis to figure how to balance out and improve all these issues.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast implant position

+1

Yes you should consider having a surgical revision of the right sided breast implant pocket to lower the implant. Many PS offer a discounted price for revisions.  You should discuss this with you PS. If you are unsatisfied with the answer seek a second option.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Implant vs. breast asymmetry

+1

It appears your implant on the right is higher.  If so, this will certainly need surgery to fix at this point.  However, I suspect you have some pre-existing asymmetry as your nipples are at somewhat different levels, and that's not likely from the implant malposition alone.  Your surgeon should nevertheless be able to improve the appearance.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

High breast implant

+1

It looks from the single photo that the implant is high and needs to be lowered.  From the oval shape it also looks like the capsule formed is squeezing the breast laterally and the pocket needs enlargement.  I don't feel that any exercises would be appropriate and in my patients I would recommend revision(capsulotomy) to repostion the implant.  The actual surgery planned must be done by your plastic surgeon who has the ability to evaluate your individual case and not just from one photo.  Good luck, Dr. Schuster from Boca Raton.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant malposition can be fixed

+1

It looks like the pocket on your right side is a little more narrow than the left side - perhaps you have a bit of capsular contracture which has elongated the implant and prevented its descent. Your left side looks very nice. Talk to your original surgeon and ask what to do next. I think a revision would help.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

High Breast Implant

+1

It seems from the photo that the right breast is higher, and from what you described " floats up to my clavicle " that the pocket might be higher on that side.

You may also have a tighter capsule formed around that breast. 

I would recommend returning to your PS or getting a second opinion for a capsule release and repositioning the implant a little lower to match the other side. 

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Impalnt asymmetry

+1

The right breast does look high but also wider.  It is difficult to see everything from just one photo.  You may need a capsule release on that side as well or possibly downsizing?  May be the right was a bit  bigger to begin with?