Do You Have to Get a Revision?

I had a mommy makeover in mid November. I had 3 sections of necrosis and have been doing the wet to dry wound care. Two sections are almost completely healed. The middle one was larger and I'm still packing it 6 weeks later. However, the surgeon just informed me in a couple weeks he wants to remove that surface skin by local. I am emotionally shot at this point. Can I postpone or even opt not to have it revised? I could care less if I have somewhat of a scar there.

Scar Revision after Secondary Healing Following Mommy Makeover

+1

Scar revision does not have to be performed after a wound is closed, and it can put off for any period of time you would like.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

A scar revision can be done too early but never too late.

+1

As you want heals provided a procedure is not necessary for completion of the process, any revisional surgery can be put often definitely. It's usually best to allow scars to mature before a revision.

Do I have to get a scar revision?

+1

Great question!

The simple answer is that most wounds heal and contract over time and what you expect as a final appearance is really based upon your expectations.  If you don't feel like getting a scar revision, you don't need to.  

My suggestion would be to allow at least 3-4 months of healing and up to a year of scar maturation before you make this decision.  While there is nothing wrong with early intervention, many scars actually improve their appearance over time and may ultimately not require revision.

I hope this information was helpful!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Scar revision after Mommy Makeover after Healing Issues

+1

Was the healing problem part of a tummy tuck? Typically the wounds should totally heal and soften for a period of time to allow the best outcome. You can do scar revision 3 months after healing or 3 years after healing. Once you are felt to be ok for revision, you can do at any time. In the meantime, moisturizer and massage of healing scars helps soften the scars.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Do You Have to Get a Revision?

+1

Sorry to hear about all the difficulties you have endured following your surgery. 

No, scar revisions are not necessary if the benefits to you don't outweigh the risks and inconvenience. Without a photo, I am not sure what your surgeon has in mind, but it doesn't really sound like a revision, but rather management of an open wound.  The conversation would be best had with your surgeon, who has seen the wound and can explain why the procedure is recommended, and what the alternatives are. 

Thanks, all the best. 

Wound healing problems after tummy tuck surgery

+1

That is unfortunate that you are having wound healing problems after your tummy tuck surgery.  If you are having doubts about the care your plastic surgeon is recommending it is important to have a frank discussion with them and ask to have things explained in a way that you can understand.  I am sure they are recommending what is felt to be in your best interest but you should fully discuss things to make sure you are comfortable with their plan.  From my experience with wound managment of difficult reconstructive cases, with proper wound care, even very large wounds can heal.  Often wet to moist dressing changes with saline moistened gauze done 3-4 times a day can lead to dramatic improvement in the wounds over time.  Once wounds have healed then scar revisions can be done in order to make the areas look as nice as possible.  Sorry to hear about your misfortune.  Good luck and make sure you get your questions answered.

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Wound healing problems following an abdominoplasty

+1

The option to have a scar revision is totally up to the patient and does not need to be performed.  It is unfortunate that you have had this degree of wound healing problems following your abdominoplasty.  This can happen but is very unusual.  Eventually the wound will heal and there may be some widening of the scar.  It is possible to do a scar revision at any point in the future once the scar has fully healed.  The choice to proceed is totally up to you.  

Revisionary Tummy Tuck Surgery Necessary?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced after tummy talk surgery. The short answer to your question is no,  generally speaking revisionary surgery is not mandatory.   In most cases, if you allow the areas involved to heal they will go on to do so. As you know, the scars may be wider in those areas,  but it is amazing how well the body does "remodel” these areas over the course of months/years.  It may be that in the future you will be emotionally and physically ready for a scar revision surgery.

On the other hand, if unhealthy  tissue or exposed sutures are preventing ongoing healing, your plastic surgeon may want to “debride" these concerns.

I would suggest that you communicate your concerns and your “emotional” exhaustion with your plastic surgeon and mutually decide the best course of action.

Poor healing after mommy make-over

+1

I am so sorry you have had a complication after your mommy make-over with problems with the tummy tuck. My thoughts about the scar revision -
• We know you can heal - 2 areas of the tummy tuck are healing well.
• Is the one you are still packing closing in slowly or staying the same? If closing and you were my patient, I would just let it heal.
• If it isn't healing, there has to be a reason. e.g. a deep suture? Skin closing over it causing infection? If so, revision would be needed.
Ask your surgeon to explain why you need a scar revision and how long you can wait before having it done. Best wishes!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Scar Revision

+1

If you are not worried about what your scar will look like your wound, as long as it is kept clean will heal. The scar may be wide or thick, but in time this may improve. Once healed you can always chose to revise the scar later on as there are no time limits for when a scar can be revised. Even though you do not want any further surgical intervention, continue to follow up with your surgeon to insure that the remaining wound heals appropriately.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD