Do I Need a Revision? MOM 6 Days Ago? (photo)

I had my mommy makeover 6 days ago. Full tummy tuck, lipo, breast lift and augmentation. Pre surgery I weighed 121 Post op I weighed 143. I am extremely swolen and uncomfortable. I am completely unsatisfied with my tummy tuck. It looks as if he didn't even remove any skin and my stomach looks twice as big as it did before. Not flat by any means and flat is obviously what I was expecting to see.

6 Days After Surgery - Too Early To Comment About A Revision

+2

A weight gain of 10 pounds after a tummy tuck is not unusual, and with multiple areas to include breast and lipo, a 22 pound weight gain is possible.  One's swelling is worse between 5-7 days after any surgery, so your body should start mobilizing the water which is presently in, what is called, the third space out of the third space, and you should start urinating quite a bit.  Also, there is a chemical depression that occurs around the 5th or 6th day, probably due to fluid changes in your body and also finally getting rid of the anesthetics from the surgery.  This is compounded by a psychological depression because all of us, myself included, would expect to look good sooner rather than later.  The trouble is, 6 days is a little too sooner. 

At this point, you need to communicate often with your plastic surgeon.  He or she needs to be supportive of you, acknowledge your feelings, and point out what so many of the Real Self responders have already mentioned to you.  Your body is swollen, and this swelling creates an uncomfortable feeling which adds to the inherent depression after surgery.  In  my practice, I would give you a short course of corticosteroids (Medrol dose pack) to decrease the swelling.  Use a pressure garment continuously.  I and my head nurse both give our patients our personal cell numbers so that all questions can be answered.  There are no foolish questions.  Your unhappiness is real, but your surgery may be a great surgery.  You just need to give it time. 

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after an abdominoplasty

+1

Swelling is obviously normal after an abdominoplasty.  This can be either soft tissue swelling or a collection of fluid under the skin.   It really requires an examination to understand the issue at hand.  This type of lower abdominal swelling can take up to 3 months to resolve.  If it is a seroma then you will require needle aspiration.

Swelling After Mommy Makeover

+1

While this appears to you like cause for concern, everything looks to be proceeding normally. Swelling and bruising after surgery is common. At six days it is impossible to predict the final results. It will be at least 6 weeks before you get an idea of the final result. Do not worry and, as always, follow up with your doctor if you have any concerns.

Jaime Perez, MD
Mommy Makeover Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Do I Need a Revision? MOM 6 Days Ago?

+1

You have many postoperative complications that need immediate attention from either your surgeon or Er or Urgent care. Please seek medical care. 

Six days postop

+1

Its difficult to say what may be going on without a physical exam.  So your surgeon is the best person to evaluate you.  You are only six days postop.  It takes several weeks (6-8 weeks) for your swelling to resolve.  Please followup with your PS.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Revision Mommy Makeover

+1

It is unfortunate that you had  this much weight gain.    I would strongly recommend close followup with your plastic surgeon and a medical evaluation by your primary doctor to ruleout any other medical issues.

You are far too early to consider revision.   You obviously swell and bruise significantly, so I believe it might take 2-3 months to evaluate your final result.    

I think as your recovery progresses and swelling resolves, you will see a much flatter tummy.    I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

MOM 6 Days Ago?

+1

That is an alarming amount of weight gain, and you should be in close contact with your surgeon. Chances are the excess fluid you are carrying is contributing the the appearance that you are finding unsatisfactory, and you should expect marked improvement as it resolves. Some of your abdominal fullness may be a fluid accumulation under the skin and fat and this can only be determined resolved by seeing your surgeon. From the looks of the photo, your surgeon took out at least about 8 inches of vertical height of skin.

Thanks for the photos and for the question. Best wishes. 

Mommy Makeover Revision

+1

At just 6 days following a mommy makeover with tummy tuck it is much too early to determine if you would benefit from a revision of your surgery.  From your photos, it does appear you are quite swollen.  This swelling may be due to an accumulation of fluid or seroma.  Check with your surgeon, if it is a seroma they may what to drain it and this may significantly improve the swelling.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Revision six days after tummy tuck

+1

Your abdomen looks quite full and bruised, and though we cannot be certain, you just might have had bleeding or a hematoma. The skin is gone, but it doesn't look right to us either so have your surgeon take a look right away.

Too soon to tell

+1

HI, there.  You just had surgery 6 days ago.  It is normal to be "swollen and uncomfortable" after surgery.  After any kind of surgery (even a minor surgery), you are expected to retain fluid.  Often times, patients do weigh more 1-2 weeks after surgery than what they weighed prior to their surgery.  You should be patient and follow your plastic surgeon's postoperative instructions such as wearing a compression garment.  If you have any concern, you should contact your plastic surgeon as well. Best wishes.

Sugene Kim, MD