I had my nostril tip work, bridge width narrowed,& a Medpor implant. There has been a bump on my nose since the splint was removed. My doctor just informed me that it was the implant & it shifted. She said I need to get a revision but just wants to fix the implant only. My concern is that I read Drs responses on here that suggest NOT to get a revision until after a year of healing. Is this still the case if I am only getting my implant fixed? Should I just get a different type of implant?
Revision 6 Weeks After Open Rhinoplasty, How Soon Until I Can Have Medpor Implant Fixed? (photo)
Doctor Answers 5
How soon until I can have Medpor implant fixed?
In general, it is best to wait one year before having any revision work performed. However, you have a special case and a revision may be warranted under these circumstances. I typically advise against artificial implants, as they have a tendency to lean toward the following:
With that being said, you may want to consider other options before having a different type of implant. I would recommend speaking with your surgeon and going over your options with him or her. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.
Have a question? Ask a doctor
My advice is to remove the medpor implant ASAP if its not working for one reason or another. The longer you wait the harder it will be to remove the medpor implant due to tissue ingrowth. The ideal nasal implant is the one that is custom designed for your nose. The one I use is silicone. Silicone can be sculpted into a custom shape and if it needs to be removed for any reason it slides right out.
Revision 6 Weeks After Open Rhinoplasty, How Soon Until I Can Have Medpor Implant Fixed?
This may be appropriate under the circumstances described.
Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA
You might also like...
In general, I don't like or use implants in the nose made of other materials. I prefer using cartilage and tissue from your own body to build up the nose to avoid the problems of infection, migration, or rejection. What you had done is different from the 1 year wait period most surgeons recommend for revision. You will likely want to get this fixed sooner but please consult with your board certified surgeon.