Should I Have a Revision Upper Blepharoplasty to Fix Asymmetry from High Incision?

Hi, I had a blepharoplasty of both eyelids two years ago to help deal with lash ptosis. However, after the healing and swelling subsided (post 1 year), the crease on my right eyelid was much higher than the left exposing the lid on the right more, and causing asymmetry. Upon looking at the photos immediately after surgery, my oculoplastic surgeon told me the incision on the right eye was 2 mm higher than the left. Is there any revision that can be done to fix this and what is the success rate

Revision of Blepharoplasty Incision Position

+2

Lowering a malpositioned eyelid crease after a Blepharoplasty can be very challenging esp. if there is minimal skin left in the upper lid.  If there enough skin and soft tissue left above the crease, it may be possible to use this tissue to reposition the crease inferiorly.  In my opinion, it is less difficult to lower the crease in these circumstances than to attempt to raise the crease where there is almost always a lack of skin to lift.  Key to determining if the repositioning you seek may be possible is a detailed consultation with a  plastic surgeon who is experienced in eyelid revision procedures.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Crease

+1

Changing the incision crease on upper lids is not easy. It can be done on both upper and lower but, you need to have enough skin to do it.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

+1
If the asymmetry bothers you, it is possible to revise the blepharoplasty incisions for the lid crease asymmetry. In my opinion it is easier to lower a crease then raise a crease. You should discuss this with your surgeon.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Upper Eyelid Crease Repositioning

+1

In my experience, adjusting upper eyelid crease (supratarsal crease, orbitopalpebral crease) position is possible, either raising or lowering, to achieve symmetry with contralateral upper lid.  Decide which side you like best, and plan adjustment on other side to match the one you like.

Steve Laverson, MD

Lowering bleph incision

+1

Unfortunately, once the incision is made, it is very difficult to lower it significantly.  As an aside, remember that more than likely you had asymmetry between the two lids and one eye lid crease was always a bit different.  Talk with your doc.

Time for a second opinion.

+1

RBlas

It is very difficult to lower an eyelid crease.  One of the truly successful ways to do this is by actually raising the eyelid surgically with ptosis surgery.  Only an actual consultation will answer whether this is an option for you.  One year is enough waiting.  If this bothers you, it is reasonable to consider revisional surgery.