Second Revision of Umbilicus Was Unsuccessful... Looking for Treatment Options (photo)

I just underwent revision #2 to my BB(I had full TT in Nov 2010) I have no subcutaneous fat in my abdomen and my PS has not been able to achieve any depth or hooding to the BB. My PS is willing to do whatever it takes to achieve a normal looking BB but she has not had an issue like this before. Can anyone offer suggestions, photos of similar cases, advice, etc; We are considering fat grafting to my abdomen… do you feel is a good approach?

Umbilical Revision Options

+2

The loss of a belly button is a challenging issue. Without much body fat, it will be very challenging to make a significant change to its appearance. Occasionally, a "purse string" approach can be an option, but in your situation it is very unlikely it will make any change regarding depth of the umbilicus. 

Time and tissue laxity may make a difference in giving you more options down the road.

Vincent Marin, MD

Revision of Umbilicus with lack of subcutaneous fat

+1

It would be extremely difficult to get more depth in your situation as there is so little subcutaneous fat.  I would not think that fat grafting would be helpful in this situation.  I would opt for excisint the lower portion of the scar and purse stringing it to make the scar area smaller if possible.

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Correcting a twice failed belly button reconstruction

+1

I'm not sure you will have the desired results with fat grafting. It would probably be best to leave it alone for now and let skin 'hood' on its own. Best wishes, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

+1

The photos posted show a very difficult issue in providing depth to the umbilicus. As a last option an expert tattooing to give thec appearance of depth might work, just a thought. Good luck. 

Stop the revisions and accept the outcome

+1

With no body fat, there is nothig your doctor can really do except to create more problems trying to "make up" an operation to fix your belly button.  Unfortunately, sometimes there is only so much you can do give the patient's starting point.  Sorry, but IMO you need to leave this alone or it might get worse.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS