Will Revision Tummy Tuck Remove The Excess Skin Left Over From Previous Diastasis Recti Repair??

I am 8 weeks post op from full abdominoplasty with diastasis recti repair and umbilical hernia repair. My surgeon is surprised at the loose skin over the umbilicus and said I will likely require a revision abdominoplasty. The original surgery required the traditional horizontal incision as well as a shorter vertical incision to the umbilicus. I am very thin and have almost no body fat. The surgeon said there was not much skin to work with. Will a revision fix this or is it likely to recur?

Correction will require full TT.

Even with your pictures, it’s hard to know exactly what was done during your abdominoplasty procedure.Your pictures suggest redundant skin above and below the umbilicus.In addition you have a short transverse incision with bilateral dog ears and what appears to be a vertical incision below the level of the umbilicus.There doesn’t appear to be an incision around the belly button.
Although it’s hard to know without a physical examination, these findings suggest inadequate soft tissue dissection above the umbilicus.Normally this dissection extends to the level of the rib cage.This maneuver helps mobilize the soft tissue so it can be advanced in an inferior direction.Absence of this type of dissection can explain many of your physical findings.
Unfortunately, correction of this problem will require a full abdominoplasty.It’s therefore important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area who can evaluate your abdomen.This surgeon should be able to perform this evaluation and formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic findings and achieves your aesthetic goals.

Revision of TT

The photograph that you include with a question does not look entirely consistent with that reported operation you have had. I am not sure that I can see an incision around the navel which suggests to me that he did not have a classical full abdominoplasty.

Nonetheless what you have now is what you have now. When I see is a modest amount of excess skin in the upper abdomen, some excess in the lower abdomen, and an abdominoplasty incision that was too short as is evident by the dog ears on each end.

A properly performed abdominoplasty should correct these before you.

Best wishes

Tummy tuck revision

It is hard to tell based on your picture whether you really had a “full tummy tuck” done. Regardless, revisionary surgery will be beneficial, depending on what was done during  your 1st operation. I would suggest asking your surgeon for the specifics of what procedure was performed. If you have questions/concerns a 2nd opinion may be warranted.

Make sure you're working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Revision TT

In the photo, it doesn't look like any umbilical work was done the first time - this suggests that you might not have had a classic "full" abdominoplasty the first time, more of a modified or mini technique.

The appearance, IMO, could be improved by a re-do operation, with more undermining of the skin above the umbilicus, removal of more skin, and re-insetting of the umbilicus.  Best of luck!

Revision abdominalplasty

Yes, from the photo there is a fair amount of redundant skin.  You are not a candidate for any liposuction, a much more aggressive skin undermine and advancement of the skin is required for a flat result.  The umbilicus will need to be released to advance the flap as a unit.  You may want a second opinion with a board ceertified plastic surgeon. Good luck

Rodger Wade Pielet, MD (in memoriam)

You need another tummy tuck

It seems that you don't have a scar around your navel, and very little tightening was done of the skin ,maybe this was a mini tuck ??? Scar also seems to high. You need to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a second opinion

The posted photo shows many issues. Too short of length in the horizontal dimension causing bilateral minor dog ear deformities. Poor dissected or to short of a dissection of the supra umbilical flap, if any was done. Appears as a mini tummy tuck result. Yes a Full skin flap TT is the better option. 

Revision

Revision should fix this.  I would recommend a repeat of the full abdominoplasty, with a longer horizontal scar.  Otherwise, you will most likely wind up with "Dog Ears"