Revision TT Results Questionable, Will Results Improve With Time?

1st TT w/ MR, no lipo, 5 yrs ago, at 51. PostTT belly protruded, went back to PS, he said MR had failed, need 2nd TT. I am 5’3, 135lb, no weight gain, no med conditions, non-smoker, active. could MR fail from dissolvable stitches? why reversal of the results? 2nd TT: MR of rectus and oblique, flank lipo, scar symetry/ height revision. 6 wks postop, belly protruding, waist not smaller, scar looks same, Wrinkle/dent/swelling on right. did I need skin tightening ? will this improve with time?

Updated with photos: Revision TT Results Questionable, Will Results Improve With Time? (photo)

Tummy tuck and belly protrusion

+2

Belly protrusion may be the result of intraperitoneal fat ( or what I call fat in the "fishbowl") that can't be treated, weakness of the muscle,  or possibly curvature of the spine.  This are just a few of the reasons.

Belly protrusion after tummy tuck

+2

Abdominal fat is situated in two areas: under the skin (subcutaneous) and intra-abdominal (around the abdominal organs). Only the former is dealt with by a tummy tuck. If the major portion is intra-abdominal, then 'muscle repair' or, more accurately, 'muscle plication,' will only have a temporary benefit. The distribution of abdominal fat varies from person to person. A large amount of intra-abdominal fat produces high intra-abdominal pressure, which leads to the muscle stretching out after plication. The abdominal muscle may be reinforced by a large sheet of synthetic mesh and although this will prevent stretching out, it has its own potential problems. The simplest solution is to lose weight.

J. Brian Boyd, MD

Results of tummy tuck

+2

Hi.Some photographs, even the current post-op one (if you do not have pre-op) will help us understand the problem. In general, the strength of muscle repair will depend on the degree of weakness of the muscles, the type of suture material and the suturing technique used. However unless the muscles are really weak, fairlure of repair is quite uncommon.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Revision Tummy Tuck

+2

Hello and thanks for the question.

This is a difficult question to answer especially since you have not provided any pre and post operative photos.  In answer to your questions, yes your muscle repair can fail if dissolving sutures are used.  In regards to your second tummy tuck if you have protrusion of the abdomen at six weeks it is likely to persist as the internal muscle repair may have failed again.  It may also be fluid and if this is the case then it will improve as the fluid is absorded.  The swelling at six weeks may continue to improve still over the next 3 months.  In terms of the skin wrinkling I think it is very difficult to make any reasonable comment without photos, however I would think that you should have minimal skin wrinkling if you have had a tight tummy tuck.

Regards

Stephen Salerno

Stephen Salerno, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon