Can I Do a Revision of a TT Even Though the BB Was Already Floated in a Previous TT? (photo)

attached are some photos taken 5.5 months post a TT. I did not have a full but had something more than a mini. I am not happy with the results as I now have a lower pooch that to be honest I did not have before. My bulge was more in the middle and now it has just been moved down to the lower ab with a lot of extra skin. I am fearful of doing a full revision b/c of umbilical stenosis or skin dying. I am curious if anyone thinks this can be done?

Conversion of Mini Tummy Tuck to Full Tummy Tuck

+3

Your scenario is not unusual. The results of mini-abdominoplasty surgery can be disappointing, as it only tightens a very small amount of skin in the lower abdominal area. I would wait at least one year before you consider additional surgery. The scar needs to be mature and any residual swelling or scar tissue or firmness needs to be resolved. I have successfully performed full tummy tucks after mini-abdominoplasties with umbilical float. In most cases, remarkably, the belly button does fine and survives. However, there is always an increased risk of partial or complete ischemia (no circulation) to the belly button. You would need to be prepared for the risk of umbilical loss. If that were to occur, it could always be reconstructed, but it would never look like a normal belly-button. The longer you wait, the better the chances for a successful reoperation.

Options are more limited now

+1

...because an umbilical float was done the first time with your mini-tummy tuck.

It's a tricky situation. You could safely revise the lower abdomen with liposuction, or with lateral skin excision.  If you re-elevate the entire flap to pull it all lower & tighter with a re-do float technique, the risk is that the umbilicus will end up way too low, and look bizarre.  Neo-umbilicoplasty is another option, although IMO the belly buttons don't look as good as your original one. 

Thomas Fiala, MD

Can I Do a Revision of a TT Even Though the BB Was Already Floated in a Previous TT?

+1

The best chance for survival will occur after a several month to year healing period to reestablish blood flow.    Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and tummy tuck revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Umbilicus after tummy tuck

+1

Thanks for an excellent question and good pictures.  I am sorry you need a revision so soon.  Since your umbilicus was floated, it needs to excised as part of a full tummy tuck and new umbilicus needs to be created. 

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Mini Tummy Tuck Myth

+1

Thank you for your pictures. A mini tummy tuck is only for select few patients. Since you have an umbilical float it is unlikely that you can have a revision of your tummy tuck (full tummy tuck) without loss of your umbilicus. You maybe meet you maybe willing to lose you umbilicus and have an umbilical reconstruction at a later date.  The reconstructed umbilicus is never as good as your original one.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Expectations not met with modified abdominoplasty

+1

The problem is that you had the wrong operation. A modified umbilical float abdominoplasty will not address all of the features and problems that you demonstrate.  A standard abdominoplasty will correct

1. Redundant skin of the abdomen both above and below the umbilicus
  2. Fat of the upper and lower abdomen
  3. Excess fat of the posterior hips and flanks
  4. laxity of the anterior abdominal wall

If this components were not corrected at the first operation you will have less than an optimal result.  Prior to surgery you should have discussed surgical options as well as expectations.  A modified or mini operation is just that min or modified result.  The chances of an umbilical stenosis or skin dying is very unusual but correctable if it occurs.