Revision Tip Irregularities-how Common?

I am going to get a revision rhinoplasty because the columella still hangs down too far and the tip is still slightly overprojected. One doctor suggested that I rotate my tip to the front (it is now slightly upturned), shorten it, and lift the columella. Another doctor said that I cant rotate my tip but that he could shorten it and lift columella. However, he said I am at risk for tip irregularities. What does this mean and how common are the risks?

Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty is Excellent for Revision Cases

+1

Non-surgical rhinoplasty, using fillers to contour the nose is a great option for revision cases.  A skilled injector can improve the overall shape and orientation using fillers.

Non-surgical rhinoplasty is an advanced filler technique and with revision rhinoplasty in particular, it's advised to go to someone who specializes in fillers, and preferably specializes in non-surgical rhinoplasties.

Sometimes a hanging columella can be treated by adding filler to the bridge and tip, modifying the overall shape and proportions of the nose.

Good luck in your search for information.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip irregularities after revision

+1

Thank you for your question. When it comes to revision rhinoplasty, there is no substitute to direct examination of the nose and face and good photographs. If you are going to a revision you surgeon should prevent or treat any tip irregulars at the time of surgery.You do not want to treat one problem and create another.Open rhinoplasty is probably the best approach.

Tip Irregularities Following Rhinoplasty

+1

Tip position and shape can be improved with a revision rhinoplasty. You can also raise the columella. We cannot possibly interpret the comments of another surgeon. Please ask him to explain.

Tip revision

+1

An open rhinoplasty technique will minimize the risk of more tip asymmetries. it is hard to say what should be done for you without an exam in person.

Revision Tip Irregularities-how Common?

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty and Revision Rhinoplasty for over 25 years and in the situation that you describe, it might be best to decrease the tip projection through the columella itself.  Rotating the tip up or down does not change true tip projection and in either case, I don't understand why they'd place you at higher risk of tip asymmetry.  

I don't have photos of the tip front and side to review but perhaps you may want to get a couple other opinions from experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeons on the matter.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

I believe that if you have your revision through an open technique you will have less of a chance for tip irregularities. The collumelar show should be easy to fix and the tip cartilages can then be adjusted to de-project and maintain symmetry. See weblink below that describes this in detail.

Dr.S.

Web reference: http://www.rhinoplastysurgeonnewyork.com

Tip irregularities after revision rhino

+1

I give my revision patients many possible negative outcomes and tip irregularites is not one of them. Pehaps this is a sequella he has seen in his surgeries, I don't get it

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.