Revision Surgery. Should You Got to Your Original Surgeon or Seek Another Surgeon?

I had a SMAS facelift/ neck lift with platysma band plication and liposuction under my chin 15 months ago. As early as 6 months after surgery, my neck bands and saggy neck have returned, there are creases under my chin, pouches on the sides and jowels. My surgeon agrees that I need a revision. My concern is that I am having doubts about the surgeon's skillset. Starting with a new surgeon is financially unrealistic, as this surgery was expensive. I am so disappointed with the results.

Facelift revisions

+2

You may want to seek the opinion of another plastic surgeon, but he/she will probably charge you full price for any further work.  However, if you're okay going back to your original surgeon, he/she will most like waive many of the fees.

Who to have perform revision facelift

+2

The decision on whether or not to have your original surgeon revise your facelift depends a lot on whether you trust him or her. It doesn't sound like you necessarily have this trust currently. Determining what the surgeon plans on doing precisely may help. You may benefit from consulting with a few other surgeons in the area to see what their opinion is as well.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Facelift revision surgeon.

+2
All surgeons do occasional minor revisions of their work because of differences in healing, etc. including experienced surgeons like me. But I telly patients these should be little problems not major revisions. I would ask your surgeon exactly what he would do and then get a few consults from other surgeons. If your surgeon's plan is similar to their plan and you have confidence in him have him do the work--much less expensive. If not save up and have another surgeon revise it. Hope this helps your tough decision.

Plastic surgery revisions - new surgeon or not?

+2

This is a tough question and really depends on if you still have confidence in the surgeon.  If not, I'd say not to have them revise you even if it would be less expensive than elsewhere.  It would be better to save up and wait.

Also, what is your surgeon's new plan?  It is important that it isn't just re-doing what was already done.  Of course, this isn't a consultation with me but I would certainly look at opening up the neck, tightening the muscles, smoothing out the irregularities and not just doing more liposuction.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Revision Facelift

+1

Pictures would help in this case.  If you do not think that your plastic surgeon can deliver, then you should find someone else.  However, I would say that if your surgeon does a lot of facelifts and has a lot of pre and postop pictures with good results, you may want to reconsider his or her skill set.  If you need another surgeon with experience in facelift revisions, some surgeons will charge much less than what you would think.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Revision surgery and should you go to your original surgeon

+1

Most surgeons revise their own work for minimal fees such as just charging for the anesthesia and the operating room.  Seeking out another surgeon may give you a peace of mind, but that surgeon is going to be charging you the full amount of the surgeon’s fee, the operating room fee, and the anesthesia fee.  It really depends on whether or not you trust the original surgeon to get you your anticipated and expected result.

Revision Surgery: New or Same Surgeon?

+1

Money issues should not be the major determining factor if you have lost trust in your surgeon. You will otherwise regret your decision later. 

If this is not the case then by all means return to your surgeon for an honest discussion.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Revision Facelift-Original Surgeon of New Surgeon?

+1

Fifteen months is a very short amount time to require a secondary facelift.  You should discuss carefully with your surgeon about what his/her plans would be for the secondary and why they think that the procedure was not as successful as you would like.  I would also recommend getting the opinions of a few other plastic surgeons so that you can compare their plans and also the finances of your situation.  You should then be able to make an informed decision. 

Michael Sundine, MD

Confidence in your surgeon

+1

I think having the original surgeon do more surgery will likely be less expensive, but if you have lost confidence in him, then you might have to go elsewhere. It will cost more but you have confidence in your surgeon is very important.

Julio Garcia, MD

Face Lift

+1

It is a shame that this has happened to you. A facelift should last at least 10 to 15 years. If it lasts less than that something is wrong. First make sure your plastic surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is not pretending to be a surgeon. If he or she is legitimate, express your unhappiness with the result. The surgeon should perform the procedure without charging a surgeon's fee although it is in his right to do so. Plastic Surgeons really want their patients to be happy even if that means performing revisions. 

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon