Should I Have Revision Surgery by the Same Surgeon? (photo)

In Jan '12 I had a reduction, anchor lift and implants. 195 grams removed on left breast, 295 on right. Mentor 425 High profile silicone was placed. Hematoma on day two, went back under to fix and drain was placed. Now need a capsulectomy on left and capsulorrhaphy on right. Original surgery cost $11,253. Quoted revision additional $3,569. I can not afford to do this again and revision is it. Debating if I should see another surgeon or stay with org. double board certified surgeon? Help

Stick with your original surgeon

+1

Complications such as capsular contracture do occur and sometimes require revisional procedures. If you are overall happy with your results and with your surgeon, then your best bet is to have your original surgeon perform any needed corrections.

You should be comfortable with your surgeon

+1

You should be comfortable with your surgeon and you should trust your surgeon.  Your expectations should be consistent with what the surgeon feels can be accomplished.  If you have doubt then you should seek a second opinion for your revision surgery.  And as always, it is best to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is a member of the American Board of Plastic Surgeons.   

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Stay with original surgeon for breast revision

+1

I agree that it appears that you have had a nice result given the complexity of the procedure. You require some revisional work but should ultimately have a nice outcome. Your original surgeon is in the best position to know exactly what was done originally. Also, it appears that he is only charging you the bare minimum - basically OR and anesthesia fees. You are best to stay with your surgeon as long as you trust him.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Should I Have Revision Surgery by the Same Surgeon?

+1

In my opinion based ONLY on the posted photos you have a very good result as compared to your appearance before surgery. If you DO have a capsule issues than you need to decide on who should revise. If you use another surgeon the fees would be very high. Maybe you might need a dose of realistic expectations by obtaining a few IN PERSON opinions. Just my thoughts. 

Breast revision

+1

I think that based solely on the photos, you have a nice result especially with all the asymmetry. AS for the capsule work that is based on several factors including an exam which I have not done for you.  This original surgery can require revision work, and it if is related to a capsule, then it is soemeing that probably  is "out of the surgeon's control."  Most likely the fees are facility-related. Going to another surgeon will cost you A LOT MORE!

Secondary surgery sometimes needed to optimize final result in breast lift /augmentation

+1

Reviewing your before and after photographs it appears that you got a nice acceptable result.  You started with a tremendous degree of asymmetry as well as breast tissue and skin laxity.  A breast augmentation with a breast lift can be a very difficult operation.  There are many different force vectors working in both directions that make predictability of the procedure difficult.  I like to think of this operation as a mastopexy or breast lift first and as a breast augmentation second.  It is important to realign and lift the nipple and areola to the correct position as well as tighten the tissue of the lower pole of the breast.  From your photos it appears that your nipples and size are good but there is some degree of laxity of the lower pole of the breast.  This may be corrected with a relatively minor inferior vertical scar revision.  It is not possible for me to determine if you need any capsule work.  Please continue to work with your plastic surgeon to optimize your final result.  

Changing surgeons for revision?

+1
I agree with Dr. Pousti that your surgeon did a very good job. Revisions are an accepted possibility after surgery of this nature and the need for revision does not impugn the quality of the surgery or the surgeon. I think you will find that another surgeon will charge you considerably more than your surgeon, who is well familiar with your case and the details of the initial procedure.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Revisionary Breast Surgery with Same or Different Surgeon?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Reviewing your before and after pictures, it seems like your plastic surgeon has done a nice job for you. It is not unusual, after this type of surgery (relatively complex breast augmentation/lifting), for patients to benefit from revisionary surgery.

Generally speaking, it is best to “stick with” the same plastic surgeon when undergoing breast revisionary surgery. For your own peace of mind, ask to see lots of examples of patients your plastic surgeon has helped  ( with the same type of revisionary breast surgery).