600cc Breast Implant Revision Surgery. Size recommendation?

I am a 5'7" 145 lb athletic 26 year old who previously had size B asymetrical breasts. I was borderline need for lift but decided on augment only. 1st surgery was 450cc L, 400R. Left breast did not drop and therefore I am undergoing revision. As I was unhappy with size I have decided on increase and was looking into 600cc implant. My question is as I am athletic but do have broad shoulders and am not a "little" girl will this look proportionate to my figure or will I end up looking like Dolly?

Is 600cc's to big for me?

+2

Without examing you I cannot accurately answer this question. From you heigh and weight I would think 550 to 600 cc's would be reasonable as long as you know that added volume over time can lead to more sag. If your skin has good elasticity and you have a very mild degree of sag, I would think additional volume will be OK.  I typically use an Allergan style 20 high profile silicone gel implant in my patients desiring this size implant.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Bigger is not necessarily better--and it won't keep you from needing a lift

+2

If you need a lift, then you need a lift.  No huge implant will erase that fact.  A huge implant will only give you huge problems down the road--wrinkling, rippling, bottoming out (excessive skin stretching), back pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, difficulty with exercise. 

I would choose the smallest implant that gives you the size you want (if it's a 600 cc implant, then I guess that's what you're going to have).  But don't pick a bigger implant just because you think it will prevent you from having to have a lift. Have you considered that maybe both your current implants are in proper position, but the one looks high because that breast is actually low?  Would a lift on that side fix the problem without having to have an implant exchange? Or do you just want to be bigger in general?

So many questions--and they can really only be answered by your surgeon after a personal evaluation.  Best wishes!

Carmen Kavali, MD

Breast Lift or Bigger Implants?

+1

There are two issues here. 1. Do you need a lift? If you were borderline before your first surgery, and your breasts still seem low then you will need a lift. Going bigger with the implant will not give you a lift. 2. 600cc implants are very large and if you are very athletic, you may regret the limitations they will have on your activity. Not to mention the potential problems you could have with going so big, such as bottoming out, thinning out the skin, and back and neck pain. So proceed with caution. Hope that helps and good luck!

Babak Dadvand, MD

Implant exchange

+1

A 600 cc implant is pretty large and being that you are athletic you may want to stay with the smaller implants.

Go big or go home?

+1

Maybe it's just that I practice in Seattle, but a 600 cc implant is a very large implant in my practice.  Most of my patients are very athletic and don't want to have to wear two jog bras when participating in sports.  Also, most of the women in the Seattle area want to look like it could have occured in nature.  Only you can make the size decision but in my experience bigger implants mean more problems down the line.  And remember - GRAVITY IT'S THE LAW (and it's directly related to the weight of the implant.)

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Revision surgery and size

+1

Very hard to respond without a photo, but I think you are on the right path as to size. Have you discussed this with the operating surgeon? If not DO!! From MIAMI DR. B

Big implants cause problems

+1

You describe yourself as 'athletic'- but based on your height and weight, it seems unlikely that a 600 cc implant would fit well with an 'active' lifestyle. A larger implant might also accelerate your breast sagging and might also de-rotate the position of your nipple- making you appear saggier. The concept of a round implant creating a breast-lift effect is geometrically impossible. That might change when form-stable implants become available.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Smaller implants for athletic women

+1

A general rule of thumb is smaller implants for athletic women, though your frame may dicatate something else depending on your goals in terms of appearance. No one can advise you on this without seeing you personally. It may be that just a lift or pocket revision would work, though you have to get the size you want too. Just be careful because larger implants need support, and this is often lacking in patients who are thin and athletic.

Richard Baxter, MD

Choosing implant size

+1

So many times I have seen peopl who knew from the start that they needed a lift but tried to overwhelm that by using big implants.  They wind up sad in the end and would have been better off having the lift they needed from the start and an implant size that fit their frame.

That being said, how an implant will look on you cannot be predicted without a photo and an exam of you. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS