Is Breast Revision Surgery Right for Me? (photo)

I had above muscle saline implants replaced with below the muscle saline implants three weeks ago. My doctor lowered my crease on the left side to even out a difference. My left side is WAY high still after I have massaged and wore the strap. I went to the doc yesterday and while he would like to wait, we have scheduled a revision for next week. He will be more "aggressive" in creating a lower pocket. I'm getting married in June and can't risk it looking like this. Thoughts?

Breast revision

+1

You will definitely need a revision.  The right breast appears low compared to the left breast.  It is possible that you could benefit from a mastopexy of the right breast and a smaller implant of the left breast.  This may achieve the balance you are looking for.  Unfortunately, I have insufficient information about the size of the implants and incision sites.  You do have other alternatives other than lowering the pocket on the left side.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Implant issues

+1

The implant is definitely high, a revision will likely be necessary.  The pocket probably needs to be opened up.  AN exam in person would be necessary.  Good luck.

Implant is too high after augmentation revision

+1

The left implant is too high.  I don't know why a surgeon would have placed the implant under the muscle, nor could I recommend a saline implant since the cohesive gels are softer, more natural, and warranteed for life.

You should get another opinion from a different surgeon, one with more experience handling revision augmentation.  If this is a problem of persistent capsular contracture you might benefit from incorporation of a biologic membrane (I use Veritas, but Strattice, Alloderm, etc. have also been used with success).  The membrane becomes part of your own tissue slowly over time and while this is hapopening the internal scar matures without contraction.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Is Breast Revision Surgery Right for Me?

+1

The posted photos say it all, You need revision surgery, sooner than later. I would seek new in person opinions because very hard to advise without in person, touch & feel the breasts, examination. My guess is replace and lower left to a degree remove the capsule. On the right do a full lift to try attain symmetry. But again best to seek in person evaluations. Please keep us informed of the decisions and surgical plan. 

Breast Revision : Sooner or Later?

+1

I think that most plastic surgeons would agree that waiting for your implant to settle, muscle to accommodate implant through physiologic stretching would be best. That being said, your wedding is a life experience and I completely understand why you and your surgeon has selected to do a revision at this point especially because the degree of asymmetry will not . clearly a more complete release is needed on the left.

Good luck and congratulation on the upcoming wedding.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast surgery revision

+1
Under normal circumstances, I would recommend waiting three months minimum before reoperating but the wedding is clearly an issue. Seek a second opinion and have your treating surgeon explain precisely what he intends to so so that you can go into the procedure as knowledgeable as possible.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Revisional breast surgery

+1

You definitely will need a revision and although it is better to wait 3 months, under your circumstances regarding a wedding in June you should do it sooner rather than later. Although we do not know what you look like prior to this procedure, make certain your surgeon knows specifically what the problems are and what needs to be done to improve it. It may be worthwhile to seek a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon also.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

+1

Thanks for the excellent photos. If all you have done on the left is a lower pocket, it will actually increase your deformity. The implant already sits lower than your breast. The surgery needs to be focused on a better release of the lower muscle which is holding the implant too high. The pocket needs to be converted to a dual plane with wide release of the lower muscle margin, BOTH from its deep AND superficial attachments. I think you are OK to do it now. I would prefer to wait a couple of months but the deformity is so great I am sure it makes for significant difficulty in finding clothes that can hide it.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD