Revision Surgery / Procedures for Large Scar Left from Abcess.

I have a 2"x1" oval lump of scar tissue on my chest (centre-right and about 1 inch down from my collar bone) that was left behind from an abcess excision and drainage (non-stitched) due to surgical infection. Half of it is sunken and has deep ridges along it. The scar is roughly 6 months old. I'm looking at ways to revise the scar as it still causes me discomfort and is rather unsightly (however, my fear is that surgical revision could result in my right nipple to raise above my left one).

Scar revision

Usually scar revisoin surgery is delayed for about a year after the previous wound has healed. WIthout seeing it, I can not really say more than that.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Over the internet very hard to advise in your case. Best to see the many boarded PSs in Manhattan for an in person evaluation. 

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Scar revision

The clavicle is notorious for poor, stretched and hypertrophic scarring. If you have not been treated with silicone sheeting or kenalog injections to flatten the scar, you should see a plastic surgeon in consultation. Scarring from secondary healing is commonly worse than after plastic surgical closure so revision could improve its appearance. I generally recommend waiting a year before revising a scar but the silicone sheeting and injections can be started immediately.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

112-03 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Chest scar and options: Excision, Fat grafting, and laser resurfacing come to mind

It depends on how it looks. Also if it is 6 months old you could wait and see how it matures. But at this point it is 90% healed based on wound healing studies. Excision sounds like the best option. It could pull up your nipple area but this tends to relax over time. The other option is a rotational flap procedure to bring tissue into the area to avoid too much distortion.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

1810 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004