Revision Surgery / Procedures for Large Scar Left from Abcess.

I have a 2"x1" oval lump of scar tissue on my chest (centre-right and about 1 inch down from my collar bone) that was left behind from an abcess excision and drainage (non-stitched) due to surgical infection. Half of it is sunken and has deep ridges along it. The scar is roughly 6 months old. I'm looking at ways to revise the scar as it still causes me discomfort and is rather unsightly (however, my fear is that surgical revision could result in my right nipple to raise above my left one).

Scar revision

+1

Usually scar revisoin surgery is delayed for about a year after the previous wound has healed. WIthout seeing it, I can not really say more than that.

+1

Over the internet very hard to advise in your case. Best to see the many boarded PSs in Manhattan for an in person evaluation. 

Scar revision

+1
The clavicle is notorious for poor, stretched and hypertrophic scarring. If you have not been treated with silicone sheeting or kenalog injections to flatten the scar, you should see a plastic surgeon in consultation. Scarring from secondary healing is commonly worse than after plastic surgical closure so revision could improve its appearance. I generally recommend waiting a year before revising a scar but the silicone sheeting and injections can be started immediately.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Chest scar and options: Excision, Fat grafting, and laser resurfacing come to mind

+1

It depends on how it looks. Also if it is 6 months old you could wait and see how it matures. But at this point it is 90% healed based on wound healing studies. Excision sounds like the best option. It could pull up your nipple area but this tends to relax over time. The other option is a rotational flap procedure to bring tissue into the area to avoid too much distortion. Below is a video for you to watch and a link to see more informative videos:

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon