Revision Surgery for One Implant Slightly Lower, is It Normal to over Correct and Now It is a Lot Higher?

Had saline implants replaced with silicone to minimize rippling. I ended up with one breast slightly higher than the other. Y The doctor did a revision and now the breast that was lower is significantly higher. He dd the revision using internal sutures. Is it normal to over correct and let the breast settle in. He used 500 cc implants and said the weight of he implant and the skin stretching will take a while. Just panicking because of the big difference between the two.

Breast Revision Surgery

+1

I'd give it 4 to 6 months post-op before panicking as implants settle and skin does stretch.  The implant may have been over-corrected knowing that it will eventually settle. If you're still concerned, it's a good idea to consult with your plastic surgeon.

Breast Augmentation Asymmetry- Breast Implants Uneven

+1

Yes, with time the breast implant will drop and they will be more even. However, it might not drop enough.

• Breast augmentation risks iclude asymetry or implants that are uneven. Small degrees of asymetry are best left alone. Larger degrees usually are treated with surgery.
  • It is easier to lower implants and this breast augmentation revision or re-do typically has a high success rate. The surgery involves cutting the lower part of the capsule to lower the implant.
  • Raising implants is more difficult. The surgery usually involves suturing the capsule "up" called a capsulorrhaphy. The success rate is high- but probably only around 80%.
  • Settling or dropping willl occur after the operation. Give it time. This means months not weeks.

Breast augmentation revision surgery can be frustrating. It takes time for healing to occur. You may need another procedure but only time will tell. Be patient. A secomf opinion always helps. They will even out with time!

Christopher Saunders, MD
West Chester Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation Revision

+1

Thank you for the questions.  Without photos, this may be difficult to answer.  Whenever I revise augmentations with internal sutures I too overcorrect slightly.  The larger the implant, the more I overcorrect.  The settling process can take 3-6 months.  So, don't panick just yet.  Give it more time and chances are good that it will look more symmetric by Christmas.  Hope this helps.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon