Will I Need Revision Surgery for Hanging Columnella and Nasal Tip Deviation? (photo)

My surgeon intended to smooth out a hump, lift/narrow a bulbous tip, and even out slightly asymmetrical nostrils. 17 days postop, it appears as though my entire tip deviates to the left, making my nostrils look more uneven than before. The columnella also bothers me as it seems to hang lower than before. I realize this is very early in the healing process and swelling is still present, but can I hope for something close to the photoshopped picture my surgeon's office provided pre-surgery? Thanks

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+2

At such an early post-op period, your nose is very swollen. The profile looks nice and I would give it time to settle down.

Will I need revision?

+2

You are way to early to be worrying about this. You are very swollen. You appear to have a very nice initial result that is on target with your  morphed photo. It's going to take 6-9 months before you can start making judgements.  I know it's hard but you need to let the healing take place.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty surgery post-op

+2

Dear Elysse,

• For 17 days post-op, the nose looks very nice
  • You are still very early in the healing process, so you should give it time
  • It is completely normal to swell asymmetrically making your tip look deviated

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Concerned About Shape Soon After Rhinopasty

+2

I can sense your concern at 17 days post rhinoplasty however I think it is much too early to know what the final result will be.  When a plastic surgeon does a rhinoplasty they reshape the supporting bone and cartilage to form the shape you would like.  The skin is then redraped over this new scaffold and it will take a while for the skin to remodel.

Since the underlying tissues as well as the skin have been disturbed there is always significant swelling.  Your surgeon probably told you that this can last for months.  The profile of your nose however usually shows the new shape rather quickly.  It's the tip that takes a while.

In looking at the photos you posted the profile looks excellent.  It is comparable to the photoshopped image.  The columella and tip are still quite swollen.  And asymmetric swelling is common.  Be patient and I'm sure things will improve.  Don't be afraid to share you concerns with your surgeon.  Thanks for sharing your question.

Al Rosenthal, MD

Will I Need Revision Surgery for Hanging Columnella and Nasal Tip Deviation?

+1

It is too early to speculate about final results from a rhinoplasty.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA