Breast Augmentation Revision 5 Months After Initial Procedure

Is It Possible , to Have Revision Surgery , or Correction Surgery 5-6 Months After Breast Augmentation?

Revision of breast surgery

+3

I think you need to give us more information as to what your goals would be.  In general, a revision is possible at this time.  The specifics of your dissatisfaction would be essential to give you a proper response.

All the beat,

Tal Raine MD FACS

Surgery after Breast augmentation

+2

Yes, you can have revisional surgery after breast augmentation at six months. Your body has naturally formed a capsule around the implant. Sometime surgery is required right after breast augmentation for hematoma formation(bleeding) or infection. If you are not happy with the size then implants can be changed out after six months. Please visit a board certified plastic surgeon.

Leo Lapuerta Jr. MD FACS

Triple BOard Certified Plastic SUrgery

Leo Lapuerta, MD

How Soon to Get A Breast Implant Revision

+2

The short answer to your question is yes. I typically advise patients to wait around 6 months before undergoing a revision procedure.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Dr. Babak Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Breast Augmentation Revision

+2

Yes it is possible to have breast augmentation revision 5 or 6 months after augmentation. Sometimes problems such as implant malposition or capsular contracture occur early after surgery and result in significant asymmetry. At 5 or 6 months after surgery, implant malposition would be more likely. This may occur if one implant descends as expected after augmentation but the other one does not, or if one implant descends too much. Breast implants usually settle nearly completely within one to three months following augmentation. Within this period of time, it may become obvious that the level of the two implants is significantly different. In addition, the implants may settle at exactly the same level and the development of an early capsular contracture then causes a significant asymmetry. As soon as either of these situations is noticed, interventions such as massage, strapping and ultrasound therapy may improve or even correct the asymmetry. These non-operative approaches should always be attempted and given time to have an effect before reoperation. In many cases, it may be better to wait closer to one year after augmentation before considering revision surgery, especially if the asymmetry or deformity is minor. If however, a major asymmetry or deformity is apparent immediately after augmentation and does not correct within 5 or 6 months, then I believe it is reasonable to proceed with revision surgery.

Max Polo, MD

Breast augmentation revision after just five months

+2

It is possible to safely revise a breast augmentation after five months, though six months or longer is even better. The skin envelope of the breast will relax and accommodate the implant, a marriage between the two which can take a year. After the settling in the pocket can be adjusted, the size changed, the implant profile changed with predictable outcomes, and enough time to tell if revision is really necessary.

peterejohnsonmd

Breast revision can be performed at 5 - 6 months post breast augmentation

+2

Revision following a breast augmentation can be performed at 5 - 6 months postoperatively - though you don't cite what the specific reason is for this. Is it realted to size? Malposition?

You should discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon if you haven't already in order to make sure you will be making the right decision.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast Implants - Timing of Revision, Secondary Surgery

+2

Hi vanevane in Puerto Rico,

Possible - yes, a good idea - it depends.

There are times when you have to reoperate emergently, such as if there is excessive bleeding, an infection, etc.  In the absence of that, though, I would generally try to wait at least six months after the surgery before having another procedure.

But there are exceptions.  If at 3-4 months, one implant is very different from another in terms of the height or placement, then an interventional procedure may be warranted.  In other words, if you're talking about having to do something to achieve the ORIGINALLY-intended result, that's one thing.

However, if you're asking about going larger or changing some other feature that is neither urgent, nor based on not having achieved what you wanted in the first place, then I would generally advise waiting at least 6 months (you're almost there) and then considering it.  For extensive procedures I would wait even longer.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Early revisional surgery is safe but may not be practical!

+2

Some general comments can be made about the timing of revisional surgery. Some patients are fearful of having another anesthetic or having surgeries  too close together. This is no longer a significant worry in a healthy patient. As for improving the outcome with your surgery, the timing will depend on the severity and specifics of the problem. Healing and scar maturation goes on for many months after breast surgery so some early concerns can get better with time. However, if the concern is worsening or not expected to improve  then earlier intervention is not unreasonable. Any additional surgery will have risks that must be discussed and weighed against the potential benefits.

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Timing of breast augmentation revision surgery depends on the problem

+2

For most of the things that we do in plastic surgery, the complete healing process takes more than 6 months even though most of the healing happens in the first few weeks. This is true for breast augmentation, but if it is a particularly significant issue the it may be done sooner. It just all depends!

Richard Baxter, MD

Breast Augmentation Revision

+2

We generally wait at least 6 months before performing any type of revision. However, this can vary depending on the circumstances.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon