Will Asian Eyelid Surgery Help with Ptosis?

I was told that I have ptosis on the right eyelid. Do you think asian eyelid surgery would improve my appearance? If I get the surgery will it make me look like a different ethnicity....i'm southeast asian.

I would focus on the left ptosis.

+1

Dear Debz,

I agree with Dr. Tao that you indeed have ptosis of the left upper eyelid.  How long has this ptosis been present for?  Is this congenital or acquired ptosis?  Measurement of the levator function can help sort this out.  An office evaluation with placement of 2.5% phenylephrine can stimulate Mueller's muscle and give an approximate idea of what the eyelid would look like after a ptosis procedure known as a Muellerectomy. This approach avoids a skin incision and produces natural results without doing "Asian eyelid surgery."

Best of luck to you!

San Diego Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid ptosis and Asian eyelid surgery

+1

Ptosis (or a droopy upper eyelid) usually directly impacts the eyelid crease since the muscle that opens the eyelid also helps create the fold. Eyelid ptosis usually causes a higher crease -- which is what I see in your picture (left upper eyelid ptosis with a higher crease on same side). If the eyelid opening muscle (levator) is working properly, then tightening the muscle (levator enhancement or excision) should BOTH raise the eyelid and lower the crease. If everything goes well, your upper eyelids will match and you'll still look Asian. Among other things, levator function -- a measurement of the health of your eyelid opening muscle -- should be checked.

Irvine Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis repair can be combined with Asian eyelid surgery

+1

You do indeed have a ptosis which can be surgically repaired without affecting your Asian eyelid appearance

The conservative approach would be to simply fix  the  ptosis but certainly could be combined with Asian upper Blepharoplasty.

Hope this helps

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asian eyelid surgery does not specifically fix "ptosis"

+1

I agree with w. Dr. Shureih.  You do not need Asian blepharoplasty surgery and your ptosis (lid droop) is on the left eye, not right.   If you do have ptosis surgery, your "ethnicity" should not be altered around your eyelids.

In general, ptosis can be addressed during an Asian eyelid procedure by performing specific manuevers on the levator (muscle/fascia which elevates the eyelid).  Asian eyelid surgery specifically is for creating a crease.   To fix the "ptosis," additional procedures must be performed, which adds a level of complexity and time to the procedure.

Asian eye

+1

You already have double eye lid and do not need an Asian eye surgery.

according to the picture the ptosis is on the LEFT. You only need a ptosis procedure