Revision on One Side - Breasts Now Uneven

I underwent breast augmentation last year. My left breast settled into a beautiful position right away, but the right remained much higher/firmer for 7+ months. 3 weeks ago, my surgeon performed a pocket revision/capsulectomy on the right side. Now that side appears lower, fuller, and softer. I just saw my surgeon and he attributed it to swelling. Could this all be due to swelling, or is it a permanent difference due to removing the scar tissue? Will this even out over time? Thank you!

Good early result

+1

For this stage, you look pretty good although pre-operative images would tell us how much better. Contracture can recur so I would follow your surgeon's advice on aftercare to minimize this. How much similarity you can expect varies with the pre-operative picture and the surgery done to correct the problem. Your final picture will take time to achieve. 

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks after Capsulectomy

+1

You are only 3 weeks out from revisionary surgery so I would suggest that you give yourself time to heal and for the swelling to subside, the implant to settle, etc..  I would ask that you follow closely with your surgeon so that he/she can keep an eye on your recovery.  Generally, I ask patients to allow for 3-6 months for implants to settle, etc. 

3 weeks after capsulectomy

+1

You look good for this point of recovery.  Work closely with your doctor and expect that a new capsule will form around the implant over about 8 weeks.  Hopefully not a contracted one this time though your risk is higher because of having one before.  If you were my patient I would have you in a properly fit underwire bra 24/7/3months in order to try to prevent the released side from slipping too low.  But your doctor may prefer another plan..

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Uneven After Capsulectomy

+1

After undergoing a breast capsulectomy for contracture, I would give it three months for everything to settle, swelling to go down, etc.  Alot of changes can occur after going in and releasing/removing scar tissue.  Sometimes this can make the implant sit lower that the other side, but at this point, I would give yourself time to heal and let everything seal up internally. From the photograph you attached, things look good, but there is a difference between the two sides currently. Just be patient right now and be happy with the positive fact that the breast is soft.  I suspect that when it is all said and done, your symmetry will be good.  If not, then at the three month mark, I would then address it with your surgeon.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon