3 Weeks Post Revision Septorhinoplasty, Difference in Profile but No Change At All to the Front View?

I am 3 weeks post a septorhinoplasty, u can see a difference in the profile but no change at all to the front view, i understand there is swelling but the tip is bulbous and undefined when i asked for a punched tip. Is there still a chance to see a pinched tip after swelling is gone or what i see today is prerty much the shape of my new nose?

+1

The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.

Swelling after a Rhinoplasty

+1

Even thought most patients can see some changes right after the nasal cast comes off,  typically it takes weeks and months for significant post surgical swelling to subside.  At 3 weeks you would expect to see the profile changes to be noticeable, but the tip can remain swollen for some time.  For most patients you will get a realistic idea of your final results within 3-4 months, although there might be some slight improvement for up to a year.  In revision rhinoplasty cases the swelling can persist even longer.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks post-op

+1

After 3 weeks, you will still have a considerable amount of swelling that can influence the appearance of your result. In general, 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time. The tip is usually the last to come around. It can take up to 18-24 months for the final result to be evident. I would recommend waiting a bit and see how you continue to heal. Your surgeon should be able to answer any questions you have in the meantime. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

No Difference at 3 Weeks is a Good Thing

+1

At three weeks out from rhinoplasty, you've lost less than half of the swelling that you'll eventually loose.  That means that if it looks the same width as it did prior to surgery at this point, then it will look narrower when all the swelling is gone. At 1 month out from surgery, maybe 50% of swelling will be gone.  At three months, maybe 80%, 6 months 90%.  It will take a full year for close to 100% of swelling to be gone and the final result to be fully apparent -- and even after a year there will be some minor additional refinement. Be patient.

Richard Parfitt, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks after revision is too soon to judge

+1

Hello and thank you for your question. I'm sure you are experiencing a fair amount of anxiety associated with the revision procedure. At this point you have to trust your surgeon that the swelling will go down with time. In my practice I perform a fair amount of revisions and nearly every single one of them still has a fair amount of swelling in the region of the tip and supratip at 3 weeks. I tell my patients that it will take at least 3 months for some definition to set in and assure them that I am here to counsel them throught this process. Be patient with the healing process and realize that it is even prolonged in those undergoing revision work and in those with thick skin. I personally do not even take pictures of my rhinoplasty patients for at least 6 months. Hopefully this helps calm some nerves. A tincture of time heals all wounds. Best!

Giancarlo Zuliani, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon