Are revision rhinoplasties common? Because I think I will need one :( I had rhinoplasty done 7 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I noticed my nostrils are uneven. Is there anything the doctor can do to fix this? I dont know if I can trust the same doctor though :( Thanks
Is Revision Rhinoplasty Common?
Doctor Answers (4)
Early rhinoplasty results
Although some asymmetry is evident early one it is a good idea to wait for the nose to heal more before attempting a revision. You have alar notching on the right and a hanging columella. If the rest of the nose is OK these could be addressed through a closed approach with a fairly easy recovery
Web reference: http://www.seattlerhinoplasty.com/html/index.php
Fixing alar retraction
I do see the slight asymmetry that you mention. There are ways to improve this, but I would recommend you wait to allow your nose to heal further before undergoing more surgery.
You may find that your nose will evolve to become more symmetric, or there may be additional areas that you would like refined once the nose has stabilized.
Alar rim grafts work well to improve minor alar retraction. More significant retraction may require lower lateral cartialge repositioning to bring the nostril rim down.
Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/rhinoplasty
REVISION RHINOPLASTY RECOMMENDATIONS
REVISION RHINOPLASTY DOES HAPPEN BUT,
before looking around for another surgeon:
- - wait at least 12 months after the last rhinoplasty
- - return to see the original surgeon at least 2 more times (at least 3 months apart)after you discover that you are not happy, and
- - see what the original surgeon recommends
- - ask the original surgeon if they are able to do something for you,
- - if the original surgeon can't offer you a solution(too complex & beyond their expertise for example), ask them if they can refer you to someone that they trust and who they believe is competent in rhinoplasty surgeries.
keep the following in mind:
- - rhinoplasty is one of the most difficult cosmetic surgeries to master.
- - if you have a good rapport with your original surgeon return to see them, i'm sure most will try to offer a solution` or at least a good alternative.
- - so before engaging in another surgery, i would strongly recommend you consult 2 - 3 plastic surgeons who have experience in rhinoplasty.
good luck and be patient
Dr. Carlos Cordoba
MDCM, CSPQ, FRCS, FACS
Plastic & Esthetic Surgeon
4055 Ste-Catherine O. Suite 100
Montreal, QC. Canada H3Z 3J8
You might also like...
7 weeks is too early to judge rhinoplasty results...but
While I see the nostril recession that you have shared with you photos- it is too early to decide that you may need additional surgery. Rhinoplasty takes more than months- years to heal, and so 7 weeks is just too early to judge the results.
I might suggest returning to your surgeon for an honest open discussion of the issue at hand. It is common, in fact typical for rhinoplasty surgeons to manipulate the early healing of nasal surgery with filler and steroids to expand and contract certain areas.
I typically use the analogy of liquid cement for rhinoplasty- there is a time period of months after the surgery that manipulation to the nasal shape can permanently alter the result. Again, I would receommend returning to your surgeon - perhaps a filler injection into the right alar rim might help to expand this are during the healing process and prevent a retracted ala.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.
You might also like...
Ask a Doctor
Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.