Is Revision Rhinoplasty Common?

Are revision rhinoplasties common? Because I think I will need one :( I had rhinoplasty done 7 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I noticed my nostrils are uneven. Is there anything the doctor can do to fix this? I dont know if I can trust the same doctor though :( Thanks

Too early to consider revision rhinoplasty

+1
At 7 weeks following rhinoplasty, it is too early to consider revision rhinoplasty - you are still very early in your recovery. Recovery after rhinoplasty will vary based on the person, characteristics of the nasal tissues and what was done during surgery. Around the 4-6 week mark, most patients are able to appreciate many of the changes from surgery as a significant amount of swelling has resolved. However, it can take somewhere in and around 12-18 months to see the final results. The areas with thicker skin in the nose such as the tip, alar rims and radix will require longer to settle. Also there appears to be a linear decrease in swelling for the first several months followed by a period where the swelling fluctuates (sometimes little or no swelling and other times more swelling) before the nose settles. It's hard but important to stay patient during your recovery and to be diligent attending your follow-up appointments with your surgeon.

Early rhinoplasty results

+1

Although some asymmetry is evident early one it is a good idea to wait for the nose to heal more before attempting a revision.  You have alar notching on the right and a hanging columella.  If the rest of the nose is OK these could be addressed through a closed approach with a fairly easy recovery

Sam Naficy, MD

Fixing alar retraction

+1

I do see the slight asymmetry that you mention. There are ways to improve this, but I would recommend you wait to allow your nose to heal further before undergoing more surgery.

You may find that your nose will evolve to become more symmetric, or there may be additional areas that you would like refined once the nose has stabilized.

Alar rim grafts work well to improve minor alar retraction. More significant retraction may require lower lateral cartialge repositioning to bring the nostril rim down.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

REVISION RHINOPLASTY RECOMMENDATIONS

+1

REVISION RHINOPLASTY DOES HAPPEN BUT,

before looking around for another surgeon:

1. - wait at least 12 months after the last rhinoplasty
  2. - return to see the original surgeon at least 2 more times (at least 3 months apart)after you    discover that you are not happy, and
  3. - see what the original surgeon recommends
  4. - ask the original surgeon if they are able to do something for you,
  5. - if the original surgeon can't offer you a solution(too complex & beyond their expertise for example), ask them if they can refer you to someone that they trust and who they believe is competent in rhinoplasty surgeries.

keep the following in mind:

1. - rhinoplasty is one of the most difficult cosmetic surgeries to master.
  2. - if you have a good rapport with your original surgeon return to see them, i'm sure most will   try to offer a solution` or at least a good alternative.
  3. - so before engaging in another surgery, i would strongly recommend you consult 2 - 3 plastic surgeons who have experience in rhinoplasty.

good luck and be patient

dr cordoba

Dr. Carlos Cordoba
MDCM, CSPQ, FRCS, FACS
Plastic & Esthetic Surgeon
4055 Ste-Catherine O. Suite 100
Montreal, QC. Canada H3Z 3J8
514-932-7667

Carlos Cordoba, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

7 weeks is too early to judge rhinoplasty results...but

+1

While I see the nostril recession that you have shared with you photos- it is too early to decide that you may need additional surgery.  Rhinoplasty takes more than months- years to heal, and so 7 weeks is just too early to judge the results.

I might suggest returning to your surgeon for an honest open discussion of the issue at hand.  It is common, in fact typical for rhinoplasty surgeons to manipulate the early healing of nasal surgery with filler and steroids to expand and contract certain areas.

I typically use the analogy of liquid cement for rhinoplasty- there is a time period of months after the surgery that manipulation to the nasal shape can permanently alter the result.  Again, I would receommend returning to your surgeon - perhaps a filler injection into the right alar rim might help to expand this are during the healing process and prevent a retracted ala.

Good luck!

Tanuj Nakra, MD, FACS
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon