How Should I Explain To My Doctor That I Don't Want My Nose To Project Out As Much? I Want Us To Be On The Same Page. (photo)

This would be my 2nd nose job, I dont want it to project out as much and I would like little tip work, My question is what would be the right term to use so my PS & I can be on the same exact page, I dont think we were the first time, I was a bit nervous and didnt ask much. I will go back to him since he didnt give me a botch nose & itll be cheaper ...is just still way too big for my face, im 5'0 tall and small. Please help!!!! I would hate to do it a 3rd time

How do I tell my plasstic surgron what I want

+1

You just told me and I understand it   i'm sure as you stand in front of the guy who did your surgery and explain it he will understand. You don't ned computers or pictures just communication between equals

Computer imaging helps communication between patient and surgeon

+1

Clear communication between the patient and the facial plastic surgeon is exceedingly important at the time of the consultation.  Computer imaging is a tool used by the surgeon to visually communicate realistic rhinoplasty results.  It is also a tool for patients to see what can or cannot be achieved from surgery, so that they may have a clear understanding of what to expect.

Unhappy wqith projection after rhinolplasty

+1

Imaging is a mixed bag since the computer images offer a visual representation that has been viewed in some cases as a "guarantee" of a particular result.  Guaranteeing a resut is impossible.

Choose a surgon who can explain things well and who makes you feel as though you both are on the same page.  With revision surgery it is critically important to use a surgeon who has experience with revision rhinoplasty.  If you like your original surgeon make sure he/she understands what you are looking for and have the surgeon explain to you IN DETAIL how this will be accomplished.

Preoperative simulation imaging prior to revision rhinoplasty.

+1

Simulation imaging is the best way for the patient and the surgeon to arrive at a common goal prior to rhinoplasty.  Years ago this was accomplished by hand-drawing the desired profile over the existing profile of the nose.  Currently,  a variety of computer programs have vastly improved this experience.  Please remember that simulated renderings are only a 'target' and while the goal is to come as close as possible to the pre-surgical simulations, a bulls-eye is seldom achieved. 

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

I think that communication of your concerns and possibly bringing in photos of noses that you like would be helpful realizing that the photos can not be specifically achieved for you. It owuld give a better understanding for your surgeon.

Computer imaging may be useful for visualizing goals for Revision Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed your photo which is limited for evaluation:

In my practice, computer imaging serves as a useful tool for establishing goals in Rhinoplasty Surgery. I take my patients' morphed photos to the OR and often refer to them to help achieve patients' desires.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

Web reference: http://nosejobphotos.com/

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Communication and secondary rhinoplasty

+1

From what I can tell from your photo you have an attractive face, you deserve an attractive nose

it is important to be able to communicate to the surgeon 

you are using the correct terms 

i want less projection

i want it to look ssmaller 

this should both communicate your desires

i also think that brining in photos from magazines can be helpful

Please do not take this as medical advice but if you were to come into my office these are the issues we would discuss in planning for you secondary rhino

1- staighten the dorsum/remove the supra tip break

2- create a supra tip break

3- narrow the lower third of the nose

4- remove the infratip overhang/ excess 

Houston is close to austin

Come visit and discuss these issues

saving money should not be the highest priority

Tip Projection

+1

agree with Dr. Lamperti. Also, ensure that what you mean by "projection" is really the defined term projection for rhinoplasty.

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Getting on same page with revision rhinoplasty surgeon

+1

I find that computer morphing during the preoperative visit helps with the discussion of what changes are desired (and how much). Describing how you would like less tip projection would also help with this process. Your surgeon can then let you know what level of change he thinks is possible.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/revision-rhinoplasty