Will I Need Revision Rhinoplasty?

Are revision rhinoplasties common? Because I think I will need one :( I had rhinoplasty done 7 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I noticed my nostrils are uneven. Is there anything the doctor can do to fix this? I dont know if I can trust the same doctor though :( Thanks

Revision Rhinoplasty is necessary in 5 to 15% of patients

+2

The above quoted statistics are from the medical literature. Yet the people writing these articles are usually the ones doing the most rhinoplasties. Therefore, the number overall is likely higher when you include surgeons who only do occasional nosejobs and spend the majority of their practices doing other procedures. Rhinoplasty is often considered the most complex procedure in cosmetic surgery because there are so many variables. 

I suggest patients wait at least one year before having revision rhinoplasty. The nose needs time to heal and for all scar tissue to settle. So, any asymmetries can be watched but should't be addressed until that time. 

Web reference: http://www.revisionrhinoplastyny.com/

Will I Need Revision Rhinoplasty?

+2
7 wks post rhinoplasty is too early to asses. Uneven nostrils are common after rhinoplasty, and may be temporary. It will take weeks to months for the swelling to settle. Be patient and make sure your surgeon understands your concerns. Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

7 weeks post-op

+1

Even the best surgeon will need to revise their work some of the time - if your surgeon seems dismissive and does not accept what bothers you the seek other opinions

Web reference: http://www.seattlerhinoplasty.com/html/index.php

Is revision rhinoplasty common

+1

Revision rhinoplasty is not terribly uncommon, but certainly not typical. Published revision rates are usually in the 10-15% range. The level of revision surgery can range from a minor refinement procedure to a more complicated revision of prior surgery.

I would wait about 1 year before considering revision surgery. You would want your nose to heal further to see how things evolve. Nostril asymmetry can be adressed, but the exact method depends on what is causing the asymmetry.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/rhinoplasty

Need for Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

7 weeks post - rhinoplasty it is impossible to know if a revision will be necessary; swelling does not resolve symmetrically. Wait 6-12 months before evaluating your nose and stay in contact with your surgeon, whether or not you decide to have him/her do a revision.. 

Uneven nostrils after rhinoplasty

+1

For most major revisions, you will need to wait at least 6-9 months. However, all noses are asymmetric as all faces are asymmetric. This asymmetry may be minor or very obvious to the patient. By looking at your preopeartive picture, you can resolve this issue. Early postoperative period, there can be asymmetric swelling etc.  

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgery4you.com

Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will I Need Revision Rhinoplasty?

+1

Seven weeks may be too early to tell. However, if a revision becomes necessary, the good news is that many times it is much less intense than the original surgery. For example, for uneven nostrils, a minor adjustment may be all that is needed to achieve your aesthetic goals. Good luck!

Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.