Should I Expect Severe Swelling After Revision Rhinoplasty?

I had a primary rhino 1 yr 8 mo ago. I had an open proc. to reduce hump and a bit of tip work to make nose less bulbous. Dr. Did not lower bridge enough. I am going back in May for revision which will make 2 years since primary. Since I gave it a full 2 years and will not have any tip work- can I expect the swelling to not be as severe? It will be open again.

Should I expect severe swelling after revision rhinoplasty?

+1

Factors that can influence swelling are as follow: Thickness of the patient's skin, whether the procedure is a revision, whether the procedure is open or closed, and whether or not tip work was performed. In general, it can take 18-24 months to see the final result of your surgery. Since you are not having tip work, the final result may be evident on the earlier side of the given time frame. You will still have swelling following your surgery, but it is difficult to predict exactly how much. The fact that your surgery is open and will be a revision may add to your swelling. I would recommend communicating any concerns to your surgeon prior to surgery, as they know the extent of your procedure and will be able to give you accurate advice. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.spaldingplasticsurgery.com/face/revision-rhinoplasty/

Revision and swelling

+1

It is difficult to predict how much swelling you might have. If it is just a small shave of a bump, you might not expect to have too much. If you are undergoing tip work, then expect a lot more.

Revision Bridge Work and Swelling

+1

It is likely not going to be as swollen as your original rhinoplasty surgery. Even if the nasal bones are going to be reshaped in the process of bringing the bridge height down, this can be done with only mild swelling. Wishing you the best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.drhilinski.com

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

The amount of work being performed on the nose will determine the amount of swelling.  Osteotomies have to be performed if a moderate hump is removed, so some swelling may be present in addition to a cast.  A simple hump reduction can be performed thru closed rhinoplasty  which would lead to less swelling, since it is less invasive

Web reference: http://seattle-rhinoplasty.com

Swelling Following Secondary Rhinoplasty

+1

If the dorsum is reduced through an intercartilaginous incision with minimal dissection, the swelling should be less.  If the same open approach is used, the envelope will be dissected off of the tip and dorsum and there may be little difference.  Hard to say.