Should I Get Revision Rhinoplasty?

I had rhino/septoplasty 6 months ago. Since 1 month post-op, I've been concerned about how the swelling looks asymmetrical, making it appear crooked. I thought this was swelling, but yesterday I went for my check-up, and my surgeon said that the new cartilage is growing on only the right side so that it looks crooked. He told me I should wait until the year mark to make any revisions, which consists of the simple procedure of reducing the cartilage to make the tip even. Any expert advice?

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

Generally speaking, new cartilage does not grow after a rhinoplasty procedure. Although swelling and scar tissue can obscure an otherwise excellent result. I recommend waiting 6-12 months before performing any revision procedures in order to allow for all swelling in the nose to subside. If the asymmetry was due to only residual swelling, you do not want to undergo surgery for something that may have simply resolved over time.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Surgeons will vary regarding the timing of a revision - generally between 6 months to a year. You can begin consulting in person with 3 - 4 additional experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to explore your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Crooked nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

This sounds like a situation where the swelling immediately after surgery hid asymmetry and as the swelling has come down, those are appearing.  This is especially true if you have relatively thin skin on your nose.  I think it's a little misleading to say that "new cartilage is growing on only the right side".  Nothing is really growing.  I do, however, agree that unless your nose looks horrible, wait until the one year mark before making any permanent decisions.  Waiting helps the second surgery easier and more predictable long-term.    

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose s crooked after rhinoplasty

+1

There are a number of possible issues that could cause he asymmetry. The fact that it became noticeable after some time just means that the swelling is going away and uncovers the underlying problem. Also, healing and scar tissue contracture could also be an issue. Anyway,you should wait close to one year until all swelling settles down to have a revision, most likely via an open approach.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Timing of refinement of tip asymmetry

+1

Cartilage asymmetries can be addressed with a refinement procedure. Given the fact that we're talking about changes in the order of millimeters, I find it most prudent to make sure your nasal healing has stabilized before trying to address the excess cartilage. This often takes about a year, butcan vary depending on your skin thickness.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty issues

+1

In general, everyone has some minor and ins ome cases major assymetries.  Sometimes as the swelling comes down,. these assymetries are more clearly defined.  It is often best to wait a year before having a revision.

Nasal Asymmetry - Irregular cartilage size after Rhinoplasty

+1

New cartilage does not grow after a rhinoplasty.  The tip cartilages may have not been shaped symmetrically or if a graft was used it may have shifted.  I perform revision rhinoplasty procedures six months after the original rhinoplasty, unless there is pronounced swelling. 

Rondi Kathleen Walker, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should I Get Revision Rhinoplasty?

+1

No new cartilage is growing in the tip anytime after a Rhinoplasty.  Either the nasal tip cartilages were shaped that way or an onlay cartilage graft shifted or partially dissolved.  Those are the only two ways the cartilage is uneven at this point.  Anytime after 6 months, from the previous Rhinoplasty, a revision Rhinoplasty could be performed.  What's performed, at that time, depends on what your nasal tip looks like at this time and what needs to be done.  Photos or an in person consultation with experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeons for evaluation and recommendations seem to be in order.  Be sure to select a Rhinoplasty Surgeon that understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

I  would not recommend any revision procedure before a year as subtle changes may occur.  Your surgeon is the best to guide you as they have seen your nose firsthand and understand its anatomy.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Revision after rhinoplasty

+1

It is generally a good practice to wait a full year before revising a rhinoplasty.  This gives all the tissue a chance to settle and to mature.  Your surgeon is the best person to advise you on this, but if you have lost confidence or don't understand what you are being told then you should get a few other opinions.

Daniel Greenwald, MD