Am I a Candidate for Revision Rhinoplasty to Reduce the Radix? (Photo)

I wanted my radix reduced by a couple of mm. as well as my dorsum hump removed. wanted a more narrow nose. I understood that was only achievable through an osteotomy. After the surgery I asked my doctor if my radix was reduced like i wanted to he said No however he stated he gave me a nice profile view. I am very disappointed and that was the one thing I HATED about my nose and I am considering revision rhinoplasty. I am 5 weeks post op and hate my profile view and my tall tall nose!

Revision rhinoplasty to reduce radix

+2

You are early from your surgery so have a bit of healing to go, but I would imagine that if your surgeon said he didn't reduce the radix that it would be any lower than before your surgery. However, I would give your nose time to heal (12 months ideally) to see what you think.

The nasofrontal area is a bit trickier to take down, but it is possible.

Radix reduction can be performed with revision rhinoplasty. However, it is wise to wait at least 6 - 12 months before revision.

+2

Radix reduction can be performed with revision rhinoplasty. However, it is wise to wait at least 6 - 12 months before revision. I agree with my colleagues that it is too early to tell what your final result will be. If your surgeon did not reduce your radix, then your radix height will be unchanged but given the changes in your dorsum and possibly nasal tip, you might be perfectly happy with the balance of your nose. I would recommend the 6 - 12 months to allow you to heal from surgery and for your swelling to resolve. If you are still unhappy ask your surgeon about their revision policies. If you don't like the answer, seek out an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon with ALOT of rhinoplasty experience for your revision.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty

+2

You should definitely wait right now and not look for revision. You are still swollen and your nose is going to continue to "shrink". The limited photo you show however suggests that you will have good proportion for your face. Rhinoplasty results are a balance. The framework is changed and then the skin shrinks and fits to the new shape in the ideal situation. Sometimes even despite major skeletal reduction the skin will not shrink enough and then you have an amorphous poor shape so you have to beware of trying to be to aggressive especially in the radix area. I have at times worked extensively there only to be frustrated by filling in of soft tissue to mask the change.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Question regarding nasal radix reduction

+2

The first thing I would tell you is to wait.  At 5 weeks post-op, it is far too early to consider revision rhinoplasty.  There will definitely be further reduction in the fullness over the dorsum of your nose.  You really should not consider a revision until at least 1 year after your procedure.

If after allowing for all the swelling to resolve you still feel that you are unhappy with the radix, it is possible to address.  A special rasp (or perhaps osteotome) can be used to achieve further reduction.  Good luck.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Radix Reduction

+2

Hi,

Radix reduction is not easy to achieve. A special naso-frontal rasp or a burr has to be used. However, it is possible but not common.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Revision Rhinoplasty for High Radix

+2

First of all, let me say that things will get better with time. Allow all swelling to dissipate - this may take over six months. Then reassess your satisfaction with the result. Communication with your surgeon is key. You should know what can and can't be reasonably done with your unique anatomy before the surgery. The best advice I can give you now is to try your best to just get on with your life and let the nose heal. You will either see a lot of your concerns improve as swelling diminished or you will be able to touch up the result to get the look you want. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Radix Reduction

+1

Sure this can be revised. However the reason surgeons want you to wait so long is because at this time in the healing process, the tissues are swollen and inelastic and the effect on scar formation is unpredictable. 

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon