I Had my Second Revision Rhinoplasty (3 Total) About 8 Mos Ago.

The First Was 13 Yrs Ago and the second was in 2007. The third was due to injury. At this stage, how much swelling is to be expected? I have days or weeks when the swelling seems to be gone and it looks so nice but then swells up like a balloon for no reason. It becomes very swollen to the point that the skin feels tight and I feel very congested. This will last for a couple days and then it resolves. Why is this happening? It is very annoying - its like I have good nose days and bad nose days!! Thanks for any advice.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

While it may seem that 8 months is a long time to still have swelling after rhinoplasty, I can assure you that this is not abnormal.  I have had patients who clearly experienced intermittent swelling for two years after surgery.  This is not necessarily typical, but possible.  I would expect that over time, your episodes of swelling will become fewer and farther between and eventually will stop.  Just to make sure that there is nothing else going on, it would be a good idea to follow up with your surgeon.

Intermittent swelling after revision rhinoplasty

+1

It is not unusual to get intermittent swelling for years after surgery - check with your doctor to make sure you don't have a synthetic implant since swelling in the presence of an implant can be a sign of infection

Sam Naficy, MD

Intermittant Nasal Swelling 8 Months Post Rhinoplasty

+1

Although 8 months is a long time, hopefully your swelling will rsolve because it is intermittant.. In the meantime, consult with your surgeon to determine if there is some unrelated problem such as allrgic reactions. 

Rhinoplasty revision and swelling

+1

Swelling takes longer to resolve on noses that have had surgery before. The scar that is present on revision rhinoplasties just does not heals as quickly as the first time. What you describe is typical fro revision rhinoplasty recovery. Although 8 mos may seem like a long time, in the world of revision rhinoplasty is not that long, may take up to 2 yrs or longer for the nose to settle. Of course you should be evaluated by your doctor to ensure no infection is present.

Dr S

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon