Revision Rhinoplasty with Tip Elevation I Regret; Steroid Injection from a Surgeon Other Than the One That Did Surgery?

I'm a woman w/ a bulbous, ethnic nose, thick skin & a slightly droopy tip that got a revision (open) rhinoplasty 12 days ago.After 1 wk Medoral dose pack, the swelling is 50% gone & I see is a nose shape I regret.I failed to fully realize what the elevation implement--a Medpor implant--would do to exacerbate roundness & at the tip. I'm nearing the 2 week mark. It's my understanding 70% of the swelling is down in the 1st month. Can I go to a surgeon other than my own to get Kenalog injections?

Revision rhinoplasty

+2

12 days is very early in the healing period and you will still be experiencing swelling. 70% of the swelling usually resolves over the first 3 months, and the remainder goes down over time. The final result may not be evident for 18-24 months after surgery. This is especially the case for patients with thick skin and patients who are healing from revision rhinoplasty.  I would recommend following up with your surgeon regarding any concerns while you are healing, as they know the extent of your surgery and will be able to provide you with advice. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery.

Bad idea to switch surgeons

+2

It is a bad idea to see another surgeon so soon post op.  Also, it is normal after any revision tip rhinoplasty to have significant swelling for a number of months.   Only your surgeon really knows where it is safe to inject your nose, if it needs injection.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon