Revision rhinoplasty, could it be swelling?

Hello I recently had revision rhinoplasty. I'm 6 weeks post-op and I'm obsessing over the area in between my 2 nostrils, it seems to be hanging down (downward rotation?) Furthermore, there is a noticeable squishy bump that moves around on the top right of the bridge of my nose (cartilage?), and it semi hurts when I apply pressure on it. I'm very depressed and there's no way I'm going to undergo a third procedure. I can't visit my doctor since I've done it overseas. Can this be just swelling?

Healing after revision rhinoplasty

+2
In revision rhinoplasty, more than in primary rhinoplasty, there can be areas of asymmetric swelling that may persist for a while.  Also, I suspect your surgeon probably used some cartilage or soft tissue grafts.  These can change over time.  You should not be manipulating your nose in any way other than what your surgeon has advised you to do.  You could be moving grafts that were carefully placed.  It is much too early to be thinking about a third procedure.  Please talk to you doctor about these issues. If you cannot visit the doctor, you may be able to communicate by phone with photos or Skype. The post operative care for a revision rhinoplasty can include selective massage and steroid injections.  Only your surgeon really knows where that should be done or if it should be done  Healing is an ongoing process.  Patience usually pays off over time.

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early results after revision rhinoplasty

+1
After revision rhinoplasty, swelling can take longer than following primary rhinoplasty. It's difficult not to but you need to try not to jump to any early conclusions about the result.

At 6 weeks following revision rhinoplasty, you are very early and should still notice improvement in the appearance of your nose. With regards to your concerns about the columella (skin between the nostrils), this area tends to be quite sensitive to swelling and will take some time to settle. While it is swollen, it may appear that the columella is low. It is also common to have some sensitivity of the dorsum after surgery to reduce or refine it and this should improve in time. 

Recovery after rhinoplasty will vary based on the person, characteristics of the nasal tissues and what was done during surgery. It can take somewhere in and around 12-18 months to see the final results. For revision rhinoplasty, it can take longer for all of the swelling to subside. The areas with thicker skin in the nose such as the tip, alar rims and radix will require longer to settle. Also there appears to be a linear decrease in swelling for the first several months followed by a period where the swelling fluctuates (sometimes little or no swelling and other times more swelling) before the nose settles.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

Revision Rhinoplasty, could it be swelling?

+1
A hanging columella could be due to one or both of the following:

1) The result of excess cartilage
2) An illusion created by retracting nostrils

6 weeks is still soon after your surgery, and there will be swelling present that can affect the appearance of your result. An exam would be necessary to determine the nature ofthe "squishy bump" you are speaking of. It is a bit too soon to consider a revision, as it can take up to one year for the final result to be evident. I would recommend giving it time and see how you continue to heal, as changes will still take place over the next few months. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling Common after revision rhinoplasty

+1
You most definitely still have some swelling just 6 weeks after a rhinoplasty revision. In my experience swelling is more prolonged with repeat procedures. You should not be manipulating your nose without the permission of your surgeon. This is a problem with travel surgery. You can always call/Skype your surgeon and send him/her photos.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Problems after revision

+1
Without photos this is a hard one to address.  At 6 wks it is still a little early to get too concerned however these might turn out to be real issues.  See a surgeon in your community to get advice.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD
San Angelo Plastic Surgeon