Revision Rhinoplasty Swelling, How Much More Definition Should I Expect? (photo)

I had revision rhinoplasty performed exactly 6 months ago. I am a male, i was told that i have thicker skin than usual, and the doctor told me that " I did narrow the nasal supra tip and the nasal tip. You will be very swollen due to the amount of septal work that was done. The supra tip was narrowed significantly. The tip was narrowed about 50%". Will the tip of my nose get more defined?? And what is the difference between the tip and a supra tip??

Revision Rhinoplasty Swelling, How Much More Definition Should I Expect?

+1

After revision rhinoplasty operations, the swelling may take at least 18 months to subside.

Swelling after revision rhinoplasty

+1

You will continue to see changes following the 6-month post-op mark after surgery, and your nose will appear more defined as swelling goes down. Keep in mind that thick nasal skin can hinder the definition you see following rhinoplasty, and you may not get it as defined as you want. In general, swelling can be influenced by:

1) Whether the procedure was a revision
2) Whether the procedure was open or closed
3) Thickness of the patient's skin
4) Whether or not tip work was performed

To answer your other question, the supra tip is the area above your tip, between the tip and the nasal bridge. The regular "tip" is closer to your nostrils.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty swelling, how much more definition should I expect?

+1

In general, 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time. You will still have swelling after 6 months that can affect the appearance of your nose, and the tip is usually the last to come around. The final result may not be evident for 18-24 months after surgery. Patients with thick skin do not always achieve the level of definition they desire, but great improvements can still be made. Your nose should continue to change over time. I would recommend following up with your surgeon regarding any concerns, as they know the details of your procedure and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Revision Rhinoplasty Swelling in the Tip and Supra Tip

+1

Alex, it is hard to tell how much swelling remains in the tip region. That is something that you will have to rely on your rhinoplasty surgeon to quantify. But, in general, swelling can take upwards of 1-2 years to settle completely - especially when dealing with a male nose with thicker skin. In all likelihood your tip will continue to shrink wrap more. The tip of the nose is the leading point above the nostril openings whereas the supra-tip refers to the area between the tip and the middle of your bridge. Happy healing. Wishing you the best.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

How much more definition can I expect?

+1

Only your own surgeon knows exactly what was done and can give you the best answer. I usually advise my revision patients that we are on an 18 month journey to get to our result and to expect the last 6-9 months to go very slowly and subtly.

.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Healing following rhinoplasty can take 1-2 years. Expect to see gradual reduction in swelling and more tip definition as time goes on. It is hard to predict how narrow the nose will be since it is due to many factors. The supra tip is the area just above the tip. 

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon